cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BATTERY MODE AC MODE over and over and over and over again

KylePmore
Level 8
Sorry for reposting from General Discussion but...

Hey guys, On my G74Sx I have been reading previous threads of when the power options keep flickering between AC Mode and Battery mode.

My Asus warranty is currently up so my plans are to have it fixed by a 3rd party.

Do we know what the real problem is with this? Is it the DC jack or the power cord itself? I took a pair of tweezers and noticed that the DC pin itself inside of the computer is a little loose. I have also noticed that the tip of the power cord gets a little hot.

So, is it the power cord or the DC Jack? The power cord looks like it runs between $50-$60 while I can have a DC jack repair for $70. I just want to know which one the problem seems to be so I don't end up spending $100 replacing one, have that not be the problem, and replacing the other.
10 REPLIES 10

KylePmore
Level 8
I would like to add that when I remove the battery and keep the charger plugged in and use the computer the same thing still occurs between BATTERY MODE and AC MODE flickering over and over again. Also, the battery does not deplete when the computer enters battery mode.

dstrakele
Level 14
This type of problem can result from a defective power adapter, power cord, power pin connector, motherboard, or battery. It sounds like you've eliminated the battery. But I'd check its wear level if this issue has occurred for some time.

Next I'd try testing with a different 150W power adapter.

You report the power pin connector is loose. That could be the total problem or a victim of an overheating adapter plug due to polarity issues.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

So does it look like I will need to repair both? Also, are there any power supplies out there higher than 150W that will work on the G74? Does the G75 Adapter work for the G74? I can get my buddy who works at a computer store to test and see if the adapter is the problem.

dstrakele
Level 14
I believe the 180W power adapter for the G75 would work with a G74SX.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Fantastic. I will report tomorrow with my findings. Any estimates of how much a DC jack repair would be for a G74 from a 3rd party? <$100?

mrmcgoo
Level 7
My G53 just started doing that light show. When I pull out the battery and re insert it, all is well. it runs fine on battery and charges right back up. My power pin is tight though.

KylePmore
Level 8
Welp.

Just tried a G75 power supply and a G74 power supply. Turns out it is the DC jack that is causing the problem.

Yes, thats what I've been trying to tell everyone. The DC Jack is the MAIN CULPRIT in the cases of pins breaking. The heat loosens up the metal making it easy to bend and with that stress/friction and gravity, the pin ultimately breaks.

When I first got my G53, the jack was so freaking hard to push in + it used to get really hot after some intensive gaming. After some days I got the flickering screen changing to different power modes, ultimately, since I was all paranoid and all, I didn't try to use it.

I took it to the ASUS service centre and they gave me a new jack. The new jack fits in very snug with not much resistance and whenever I'm playing crysis or something, the power jack doesn't get hot anymore.

I think this issue started at manufacture level, I guess some chargers DC jacks were pretty faulty. I think ASUS fixed this issue with the HEXAGONAL PIN everyone is reporting about.

I just checked my jack and its not the round pin, its hexagonal so yay ;D !!
Asus G53sw-A1
Intel i7 2630qm
Memory 8 GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5 GB
Windows 7 Premium
1 TB HDD @ 7200 rpm
4x Blu-Ray
Razer Mamba, Razer Abysus, Rog Gaming Mouse.

FPS GAMER.

n3tninja
Level 9
*New Charger*

The service guy used a G73, so he asked me if I wanted to try his charger. His charger was really great, easy to plug in, so between a choice of HIS charger and a NEW charger...................... I took HIS >:3 !! And he happily gave me his charger.

+He also gave me a washer which helped to take off SOME stress on the DC jack.
Asus G53sw-A1
Intel i7 2630qm
Memory 8 GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5 GB
Windows 7 Premium
1 TB HDD @ 7200 rpm
4x Blu-Ray
Razer Mamba, Razer Abysus, Rog Gaming Mouse.

FPS GAMER.