cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW Graphics Glitches

-Magnus-
Level 7
About a month ago, I picked up a factory refurbished G75VW from Newegg. It runs quietly and quickly and I've largely had no problems aside from the subwoofer driver and USB port issues that some users have experienced. I was able to resolve those on the first day I had the laptop. What I'm currently experiencing is an occasional glitch when I'm playing any 3D graphics intensive game.

Occasionally, the screen will suddenly display two instances of the same frame but offset from each other slightly so that they overlap. Sometimes the frame will also glitch and display a dominant color - usually red, green, or blue. Generally however, I end up seeing a blurry looking double image. Simply tapping the power button to hibernate the laptop and turning it back on resets the display and everything will render normally until the glitch reoccurs randomly. There is no slowdown within the game either, just a problem with how the frames are rendered.

This never occurs during routine use, either at the desktop screen or when watching videos or dvds. Nor does it occur when I play 2D games such as FTL or Darkest Hour/Hearts of Iron 2. I have experienced it with Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, World of Tanks, and XCOM - Enemy Unknown. I can't consistently reproduce the glitch either. Sometimes I'll be able to play for an hour without any issues, other times the glitch will occur within 5 minutes of starting a game.

I've tried various iterations of graphics card drivers, and I can't determine if this is a software/driver issue or if there is no **** problem with the hardware itself. I know these sorts of issues have been plaguing a lot of G75 owners, but the causes don't seem to be consistent. I've posted two pictures for reference, both from Borderlands 2. What's the internet's opinion on this one?
15 REPLIES 15

dstrakele
Level 14
What NVIDIA driver version are you currently running?

What is the most recent version you installed?

Did you try a 'clean' NVIDIA install of 306.97 WHQL from Windows Safe Mode? The NVIDIA 'clean' install will remove your current NVIDIA driver and hopefully not leave any driver remnants to cause problems. Performing the installation from Windows Safe Mode will disable other running drivers (such as Antivirus) that may interfere with your video driver installation.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
What NVIDIA driver version are you currently running?

What is the most recent version you installed?

I'm currently running 306.23. I'll do a clean install with 306.97 and see if that helps. I'm not getting any slowdown or noticeably excessive heat that might indicate an overheating issue, but I'll look into that as well if the driver reinstall doesn't resolve the problem. Thanks for your input so far guys.

Woots
Level 11
If you can fully verify it's not a driver related issue... I am very worried this feels a lot like an early failing video card.

Your comments about "display a dominant color - usually red, green, or blue." hits close to home. It is what happened to me on an nvidia card for my PC couple years back (I think it was a GTX280. What happaned is the card over heated once to 102C an wasnt enough to destroy it, but it was enough to perma damage it. It worked sometimes and other times I would get horrible graphic anomalies like you color shifts mentioned and worse.

For sure 1st take dstrakele's advice and do a flawless clean video card install (through safe mode). I would even go as far as testing multiple versions of older drivers just to rule "everything" out. If it persists beyond that you could consider a fresh windows install, but I think all that would be in vein if it's hardware failure.

Hopefully a Asus rep will hop on this thread and advise you send the hardware back in to Asus or hopefully return it to the vendor if you can. I have no clue if Newegg refurbs on these would garner that advantage (I hope it does).

Keep us posted and good luck with getting this sorted the easy way (with drivers!)
PC Setup:
Battlestation Setup:

dstrakele
Level 14
@Woots makes a good point. It would be useful to load up HWINFO64 and configure it to log GPU temperatures. It would be useful to know if overheating is associated with the video problem.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

c_man
Level 11

ggBanks
Level 10
I doubt it's a driver problem, because before a driver is released it is tested to such an extent, it is impossible for such a thing to happen because of it. But I am not saying don't try re-installing it! The thing that you would probably have to do is to contact your re-seller and ask him to repair or change your laptop.

ForCeV
Level 10
This happend to me at once.... when I bought this in a month. But now it is okay... no problem...anyhow, it is not good situation for over $1500 laptop....

I took a temperature reading right after experiencing the issue while playing XCOM. The GPU was running at around 105 F/41 C when the glitch occurred. Since it doesn't appear to be an overheating issue and doing a clean install of 106.97 didn't resolve the issue, I can only assume that it's a failing or damaged graphics card. Thanks for the help with the diagnosis guys.

bignazpwns
Level 11
Turn your 3D off or put your classes on. Bottom pic is running stereoscopic 3d.