cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 weight????

Tharindu_12
Level 7
i wish to buy a g55vw. the only thing i'm worried about is the weight. i need to carry it twice per week through a bit longer distance so the weight factor is really important to me. my budget isnt enough for g55 and somthing lighter than that. is it really hard to carry on? I also have to carry some other things alongside with the lap. I want to play games fluently at medium settings so if u guys can give some alternatives, well that will be really good. please help me with this!
18 REPLIES 18

freefall
Level 7
The laptop itself is 4kg and the charger brick 0.5kg more so do the math yourself. What I would suggest you to buy is the ASUS N56 its much lighter and has decent performance for its money, you can look also at the N76 which is the 17 inch version. Take a look at them and see if you like it 🙂

Look into the G46VX (1366x768 :mad:). I carry my G53 around, and I haven't had a problem with it...but if you have back problems or are trying to keep the load down, definitely look into something lighter. Also, why carry laptops to class, seems like most people just facebook or surf the net rather than taking notes. Just a thought.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

WontonNoodle
Level 8
ya its really heavy

if u want to game consider the lenovo y580 with same specs or the msi ge60 with same specs

but beware, the msi gets really hot and the lenovo has a glossy screen

3.8kg for the laptop and 0.8kg for the charging brick. i carry it at least three times a week to campus (and my campus is quite big) and it does get pretty tiring fast carrying that thing around. also it is quite big for a 15inch laptop, so big in fact that i had to buy a brand new backpack to fit it in lol.

like the poster above i would recommend that you check out that y580. it has same specs (some of them have low res screen tho) as the g55 and weighs a little less than 3kg. the only downside of it seem to be that the surface of the laptop gets hot under load (g55 stays really cool), it is a little louder, and maybe a bit inferior in build quality. but then it only costs $999 for the starting spec, so in my opinion i think it is really worth checking out.

rewben
Level 13
if you considered a g55 heavy, maybe you should get 14" G-series instead?

Clintlgm
Level 14
I use a targus on wheels, for my G75 no weight problem at all fits in the overheard on most flights. And lot of room for other things. Excelent protection. My set up is Brief Case/computer bag. Maybe not so cool for the younger generation?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

rewben
Level 13
@Zygomorphic, my g55-3d is 1366x768, too. but apart of the smaller resolution, for me it's pretty nice already (maybe because of the higher refresh rate). so i bet it will be ok to have that in a 14".

Thanx guys for the help. N56 would be nice but I'm worried about it's gpu. Is 630m is enough for smooth game play at least in medium settings? does n56 is able to give 30+ framerates im max payne 3 at medium/high settings? .Also I want to know that the perfomance of 630m is much ahead than 525m?

Tharindu_12 wrote:
Thanx guys for the help. N56 would be nice but I'm worried about it's gpu. Is 630m is enough for smooth game play at least in medium settings? does n56 is able to give 30+ framerates im max payne 3 at medium/high settings? .Also I want to know that the perfomance of 630m is much ahead than 525m?

630M is ahead of 525M, but not by that much. If you are concerned, get the G55.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23