cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How low does the gpu throttle on battery?

link626
Level 7
I don't own this laptop. But I'm curious.

I know the 660m gpu throttles on battery because the battery can't provide enough juice quick enough.

But I'm wondering how low it throttles on the asus g55/75 with 660m.
Lowest clock speed recorded....... That's all I want to know, nothing else.

Could someone play a game on battery in windowed mode with GPU-Z running in the background, and monitor the Sensor tab to see how low the core clock drops?

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

Does it ever hit as low as 135mhz while running the 3D app ?

17 REPLIES 17

freefall
Level 7
What kind of laptop are you talking about? Specify please, because they have different specs!
My 660 clocks at 835 or something like this.

i meant gtx660m.

i know the max clocks.

I want to know how low it throttles on battery.
gpu-z sensors will show it while running any 3d application.

c_man
Level 11
You can't play games at all. Well, "games" being something very general indeed, but the systems are not made for battery gaming.

I tried playing Be Gone in Google Chrome it is an FPS and the stats were as @freefall suggested. (That's my back up account, because I couldn't log into this account for some time idk why). So the stats are the same as normal. The GPU does not under-clock itself, it just sucks less power from the battery which have nothing to do with frequency. So the verdict is that you may not feel it unless you try it.

ggBanks wrote:
The GPU does not under-clock itself, it just sucks less power from the battery which have nothing to do with frequency. So the verdict is that you may not feel it unless you try it.

I don't believe that. gpu can't run on full clock speed and suck less power.

I know gpu core clock is supposed to go down a lot in battery mode, and I want to find out how low the clock is, based on what gpu-z says.

I don't know if chrome browser game qualifies as 3d app. That's not graphically demanding.

If you don't have a game, please run Furmark and post the lowest core speed recorded in gpu-z when running on battery.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20120911/furmark-1-10-2-gpu-burn-in-videocard-vga-stress-test-opengl-nvidia-g...

I want to compare it to my non-asus 660m and see if the behavior is the same.

(Furmark only 5mb download, and test will only take 3 minutes. thanks)

link626 wrote:
I don't believe that. gpu can't run on full clock speed and suck less power.

I know gpu core clock is supposed to go down a lot in battery mode, and I want to find out how low the clock is, based on what gpu-z says.

I don't know if chrome browser game qualifies as 3d app. That's not graphically demanding.

If you don't have a game, please run Furmark and post the lowest core speed recorded in gpu-z when running on battery.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20120911/furmark-1-10-2-gpu-burn-in-videocard-vga-stress-test-opengl-nvidia-g...

I want to compare it to my non-asus 660m and see if the behavior is the same.

(Furmark only 5mb download, and test will only take 3 minutes. thanks)

The game I ran was nothing of spectacular graphics, but still it is a 3D FPS resembling CS 1.6 so even if the laptop wants to stutter it cannot the game is very light. But I am sharing what I saw into my Open Hardware Monitor! I doubt it will lie to me 🙂 But if you are telling me that my computer is running better than all the others, well... Thanx 😄

c_man
Level 11
Hehe. I have tried that on a Dell. Just shut itself down in a second 🙂

Fanty
Level 7
Tried that on a G75 with 670M in World of Warcraft windowed mode.
Shader goes down to 176 Mhz, memory to 132 Mhz.

FPS are horrible. If I move it sometimes goes up to normal frequencies and high FPS, just to drop it after a few seconds again. Remain a few seconds on these low frequencies and try go back to max. Stay 3 or 4 seconds on max and go back.

Then testing behavior with power pluged in: frequencies running permanently on max.

Fazit: 3D on battery is lower than idling in windows with power plug.

Fanty wrote:
Tried that on a G75 with 670M in World of Warcraft windowed mode.
Shader goes down to 176 Mhz, memory to 132 Mhz.

FPS are horrible. If I move it sometimes goes up to normal frequencies and high FPS, just to drop it after a few seconds again. Remain a few seconds on these low frequencies and try go back to max. Stay 3 or 4 seconds on max and go back.

Fazit: 3D on battery is lower than idling in windows with power plug.

Thanks Fanty for the feedback. It confirms the behavior I've seen with my 660m, i.e. it slams down hard to lowest 2d clock speed 135mhz.

Fortunately, I have nvidia optimus, and can use the IGP.

It looks like the only way to do use 3d apps on battery is to use Nvidia Inspector and force clock speed to hold at 400mhz.
Of course, I would never do any gaming on battery, but this software workaround will help if you ever need the gpu in a pinch and don't have a power outlet.