Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array ggBanks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bignazpwns View Post
    Few ways you can. Best to just buy this program

http://memory.dataram.com/products-a...ftware/ramdisk easy to use and set up

http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/ free but a bit more complex to use

I run 2 pretty fast SATAIII SSD's in RAID0. My average read and write is a little over 1,200 mb/s Keep in mind this is a insanely fast raid. My ramdisk average read and write is 4,200mb/s. Note im not listing busrt or max speed these are the lower averages. The burst on my ramdisk can hit about 9,000mbs

I run WoW on a ramdisk and i can tell you my load screens on my ssd would be there for about 2 sec. On my ramdisk they flash less then 1 sec. Now the big benefit is when you do work with huge files and what not. Also they ramdisk uses less power "not like it really matters"

But if you got enough cash to get the ram to pull off a deacent size ramdisk why saveing atleast 4-8gb for your system then ramdisk is a sweet set up for some game installs if you can get the space or other uses. Ramdisk is way way way way way faster then 2 Raided SATA III SSD's could ever hope to be. Also when you run a ramdisk you access time drops to 0.0ms. From the SSD's 0.2ms.

Ramdisk is not new. Its been around for a long time. My results listed were on a G75. You should see the numbers i get running my desktop with quad channel ram DDR3 2800 heavily overclocked to 3000. Note for that you need a cpu with a hell beefy mem controller a few i7 i got just wont do it but i found one that does. But thats the benches you bring out when kids think their SSD's are fast
    Can you install a game on the RAMDisc and if you can what happens when you shut down your system ? Does you FPS improve when you play WOW ?

ROG Enthusiast Array AzraelsKiss's Avatar

The ramdisk is cleared on reboot, but I know scripts can be used to load programs into ramdisk for execution. You can even write a script that automatically offloads changes to the ramdisk to the data drive at shutdown, so that they're available the next time you load the program.
    ~Azrael's Kiss~

Buildin' my post count one post at a time...

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

@AzraelsKiss, no need for scripts. ramdisk software such as softperfect and dataram allow users to save the changes in the ramdisk image automatically. however, it will take some times to save them.

AMD's Radeon RAMDisk is dataram.

ROG Enthusiast Array AzraelsKiss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    @AzraelsKiss, no need for scripts. ramdisk software such as softperfect and dataram allow users to save the changes in the ramdisk image automatically. however, it will take some times to save them.

AMD's Radeon RAMDisk is dataram.
    SoftWare... Scripts... I've only done ramdisks manually back in the day, so I wouldn't know much about the software, but I'm sure the software route is better because I'm sure it's more of an active sync than most scripts. Hell... Come to think of... As far as I know, software may be the only way nowadays... LOL Haven't personally set up a ramdisk since the DOS days. :P
    ~Azrael's Kiss~

Buildin' my post count one post at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by AzraelsKiss View Post
    The ramdisk is cleared on reboot, but I know scripts can be used to load programs into ramdisk for execution. You can even write a script that automatically offloads changes to the ramdisk to the data drive at shutdown, so that they're available the next time you load the program.
    Hence a very good reason to learn Windows shell scripts (or LINUX Bash, if that's what you're running). LINUX can create a RAM disk without extra tools, which is nice, but the command-line sequence required is huge.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

in linux it's even simple it's as easy as defining a mount point with type tmpfs and size in /etc/fstab (in centos for instance) and you're good to go lol; for high read-write operations of small files (e.g. antivirus scanning of incoming and outgoing emails; very efficient even when traffics are high).

well, ram disk is a good thing to have especially when ram is relatively affordable nowadays. with 24gb now, 8gb is more than enough for my personal usage.

edit: there are more than one way to do it in linux. i am lazy so i chose the simplest one lol!
    Last edited by rewben; 10-18-2012 at 10:37 AM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by ggBanks View Post
    Can you install a game on the RAMDisc and if you can what happens when you shut down your system ? Does you FPS improve when you play WOW ?

Program automaticly saves the image on shutdown and writes it on start up. And no drive will give you more fps they only decrease or increase load times.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array ggBanks's Avatar

Oh yea I wrote that in a different way that I meant it What I meant by FPS is like I read in another thread that SSDs fix Diablo 3 stuttering while loading terrain textures for example and I was wondering if it will work with the RAMDisc.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array GottiBoi55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bignazpwns View Post
    Just because the programs you use don't require a ton of ram does
    ot mean everyone else does. I do some 3D work with programs that run like crap on 16 gigs of ram. I know pwoplw who do 3D cad who use a min of 24 gigs. It all depends on what people do. 95% of people useing computers will never max out 4 gigs let alone 8 or 16. But i know some people who maxed out 32gigs and are running 64gigs now.
    Yeah, so you can use a "tom of ram", but the question is does iobo9mm really need that much ram?
    I was asking him about all that ram.
    well I do some video conversion, and a little video editing and still have plenty of ram.

These days you can get DDR3 ram at a decent price, and you can get a performance boost on the cheap.
    Ram is the cheapest way to boost your performance.
    Last edited by GottiBoi55; 10-19-2012 at 12:34 AM.
    GottiBoi55
    Asus
    G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
    Samsung
    24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
    SanDisk
    M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
    Second Monitor: Shar
    p Aquos 32"

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    LINUX can create a RAM disk without extra tools, which is nice, but the command-line sequence required is huge.
    Ah, no. Just add this line to your fstab (the first line is just a comment showing each field's name):
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # Device Mountpoint Filesystem Options Check/Backup

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs size=24G 0 0
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This mounts a 24GB RAMdisk into /tmp, where linux reads/writes its temp files. Brutally fast.
    Last edited by fostert; 10-19-2012 at 04:36 AM.
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast