cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus g55vw with 32 gb ram????

lobo9mm
Level 7
Ive got an g55vm witg 8 gbram. And i wanna upgrade...im a little confuse

Can i put 4x8 gb (32 gbRAM) 1600 sodimm ???
Themotheboard willlsupport it????
35 REPLIES 35

xeromist
Yes, but it comes with Windows Home Premium which only allows 16GB. You would have to buy Professional or Ultimate.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

amuffin
Level 8
What will you be doing that would require 32GB of ram?
Tom's Hardware Expert starting fresh on the ROG Forums! :cool:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/profile-946176.htm

amuffin wrote:

I can think of a bunch of stuff. My main desktop system uses 64gig os ram but i use 56gigs as a ramdisk.

Maybe he uses his system for 3D work or something professional like that. Or maybe he wants to run a ramdisk.

Now i never really cracked a G55VW open. But acordeing to Asus's site the i5's have 2 dimm's and the i7 version have 4 dimm's. So if you got a i5 according to this no you cant do 32gigs. It will have a max of 16gigs. The i7 can do upto 32gig's however you will be voiding your warranty if they put the dimms on the top side of the mobo for the other 2 slots like they did with the G75

amuffin wrote:

why have 16 if u can have 32 ????? 😛

lobo9mm wrote:
why have 16 if u can have 32 ????? 😛

Because it costs more and for 99% of people is utterly and completely useless. It's like burning money.
Because Windows Home Premium only lets you use 16GB and Professional costs more but provides no benefit to gamers.
Because if the CPU has a weak memory controller maxing out memory can sometimes cause compatibility and tuning headaches.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

With the cost of memory today why not max it out. I put 4 8gig sticks of G-Skill memory that cost $115 (on sale) in a G75 . I was all ready opening the laptop to do other things, and at the time had a ssd raid0 array so I had to purchase Windows Pro. A Ram Disk is having a extra drive by using the memory. My ssd raid got 1,000 MB reads and 630 MB writes, my Ram Disk gets 5,000 MB reads and 7,000 MB writes (and no, those numbers are not backwards). I do all my rar/zip/tar file archive stuff on the Ram Disk and it's blazing fast and keeps the writes off the ssd.

X-ROG
Level 15
The difference between Core i5 and i7 is CPU features only. The actual hardware in the G55 remains the same and there are 2 DIMM under the keyboard and 2 DIMM in the open in all cases.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
The difference between Core i5 and i7 is CPU features only. The actual hardware in the G55 remains the same and there are 2 DIMM under the keyboard and 2 DIMM in the open in all cases.

thanks for the clarification; and then this must be incorrect (specifications), and we thought they're like that in different sku's all this while.

OP - you should should have bought your laptop with 32 gigs from the beginning. Now you have to think about the correct RAM modules to buy because of the RAM timings and the correct speed and stuff. Your day just got worse buddy.