cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS SSD worth the $$$

immaturegizzmoe
Level 10
I am building a new system for gaming. Before I purchase my OS and the drive it will be on, can anyone tell me if a SSD drive is worth the money for my OS, and are they that much better than say a Western Digitial Velociraptor.
21 REPLIES 21

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Indeed SSD's are worth every red cent you will pay for them. They outclass HDD's in every way in terms of read/write speeds. Mechanical drives can only spin so fast, SSD's are in a league of their own. 🙂

amuffin
Level 8
However, HDD's are more reliable. 😄
Tom's Hardware Expert starting fresh on the ROG Forums! :cool:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/profile-946176.htm

amuffin wrote:

Unless you subject a HDD to intense amounts of G-Force pressure, or drop it off a rooftop lol...yes, they can be.

Personally, when I first heard about SSD's in this Forum I was skeptical of them and that they could be so fast. I saw a Build Log in here by L3p-NL, it was his project L3p-D3sk where I saw that he used thae same brand of SSD's that I have in my current Rig (see signature)..plus i'm bit of a freak for red, so I bought one and haven't looked back!!! My SSD shaved 5 or so seconds off my boot time and I was instantly impressed....my OS Drive, used to be the Data Drive I am now using.

amuffin wrote:

Completely disagree with that bud. SSD's have no moving parts and very very little heat. Single biggest problem with ssd's is people over thinking about what to do with it quite frankly.
7980XE on Asus ApexVI
Zotac 2080Ti
Intel 900P
2 x Samsung 950 Pro
EVGA 1600W
Alienware 34"
Samsung 28" 4K

DooRules wrote:
Completely disagree with that bud. SSD's have no moving parts and very very little heat. Single biggest problem with ssd's is people over thinking about what to do with it quite frankly.

I guess I'm thinking too much about the amount of writes you can do on an SSD. :eek:
Tom's Hardware Expert starting fresh on the ROG Forums! :cool:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/profile-946176.htm

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
immaturegizzmoe wrote:
are they that much better than say a Western Digitial Velociraptor.

Yes and no. A cheap SSD may not be as reliable in the long run...i.e. over a few years but since the tech is "new" no one knows this for sure. They are write testing a whole load of SSDs and generally they are doing great but plenty of people report SSDs simply dying from one millisecond to the next! Performance wise: no comparison... SSD wins hands down. If you keep your OS and afew of your most used programs on an SSD (backed up) you'll notice an increase in speed in everything from loading times for games to web browsing which is very worth it if you spend much time in front of a PC. Get a good 250GB one would be my recommendation. Or a smaller one if all you will have on it is OS and a couple of programs. But lots of people swear this is what they will do only to find they fill the smaller SSD and then find they don't work so well;)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Risk vs benifit

Risk - SSD can die without warning and no way to bring your data back, unlike a mechanical hard drive with platters that can be lifted in extreme cases to recover data.
Benefit - everything. Will never go back to a mechanical hard drive as my primary drive again.

Best practice - back up your data and any stuff that is important to you that might be stored on your OS drive to a different device. Do this every day. Software can make this process automatic and painless.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Yeah, SSDs are inherently life-span limited since the technology used to erase them requires damaging the flash memory cells. Sure, it is a bunch of rewrites before the erase-limit hits, but there is still that limit, unlike HDDS.

SLC (single-layer-cell) SSDs have enormous life-spans, but capacities max out around 32 GB and the cost is insane. Hence, most consumer-level SSDs are MLC (multi-layer-cell) which have shorter life-spans, higher capacities, and lower costs.

For anyone reading this thread, if you have a notebook with only one 2.5" HDD slot, get a Seagate Hybrid (Momentus XT) drive. The cost isn't bad, and Windows boots are accelerated tremendously.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
An SSD give a performance/speed boost that is in percentages the highest boost I have gained investing in hardware ... So I would say : Yes its worth the money. I have 5 SSD's in use at the moment. Works superb and no problems what so ever. 2 x Vertex 3 from OCZ and 3 Corsairs ...