cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fellow RoG'r Made A Dev Diary! Defiance Dev Diary - PvP - I'm In It :D

Almost_Tactful
Level 7
Hey guys! For those of you that don't know what I do, I'm a level designer at Trion Worlds and I'm currently working on all of the PvP game play for the new Shooter MMO Defiance. So I helped produce and was in a dev diary video for Defiance it's for the PvP segment of our game and more importantly the focus is on our open world section, Shadow War....anyway here it is....

For those that don't know me, I'm Tony lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBzW2KCORwk
Laptop - ASUS G751 | 4710 | 24GB RAM | 980M 4GB | Samsung 256GB PCIe SSD | Matte 1920X1080 IPS | Win 10 64
Work - HP 640Z | 6 Core 1650v4 @ 4.0 | 128GB RAM | GTX 1080 | Intel 512GB PCI-E SSD | 7680X1200 (4 24" IPS Displays)
Perifs - Logitech G502 + G933 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Beyerdynamic DT 1770 250 oHm | Schiit Lyr and Bifrost | Everki Black Beacon
My Portfolio Site - www.amorton.com
11 REPLIES 11

Gorman
Level 12
Interesting, nice to meet you Tony lol.

I think your devs should check out PlanetSide, Massive Action Game and Day Z. They are all games that have the same concept essentially. True open world PvP has traditionally been hard to achieve because of networking limitations. PlanetSide 1 was limited to 399 players, MAG to 255, DayZ is typically limited to 50-200 players. PlanetSide 2 is limited to 2000 players. Has Defiance run in to any technical or practical limitations?

Your art style looks like the typical stylized/hyper realism. Reminded me a lot of Monday Night Combat meets MAG.

Not a big fan of items specifically to show off how much you have ground at a game. How good a player is should be determined by their ingame skill, not by the amount of hours they have sunk. Though I can understand why so many games want to change that definition - it's much more profitable to tell people that the best player is one who plays the most / spends the most, rather than the guy who is highest on the scoreboard (assuming no support roles).

Looking forward to seeing if your gameplay breaks the mould in any way, as opposed to the standard monotony of this kind of shooter. So far it looks like typical killfest shooter gameplay...

kkn
Level 14
lol, nice ending of the vid/trailer 😉

Almost_Tactful
Level 7
Hey peeps 🙂 thanks for the compliments.

While I can't go into a ton of detail what I can say is that we are still currently expanding our systems and increasing our limitations so I can't put a hard number out there. What makes this different from some of the other games that you mentioned is that this is PvP but it's not in it's own world. Planetside and Mag are PvP games without any PvE elements, in Defiance while you're out there doing PvP you will come across groups of other players out doing missions and stuff together, you still see and will be attacked by all of the NPC's that exist in the world and this combination is something the other games just can't do.
Laptop - ASUS G751 | 4710 | 24GB RAM | 980M 4GB | Samsung 256GB PCIe SSD | Matte 1920X1080 IPS | Win 10 64
Work - HP 640Z | 6 Core 1650v4 @ 4.0 | 128GB RAM | GTX 1080 | Intel 512GB PCI-E SSD | 7680X1200 (4 24" IPS Displays)
Perifs - Logitech G502 + G933 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Beyerdynamic DT 1770 250 oHm | Schiit Lyr and Bifrost | Everki Black Beacon

Almost Tactful wrote:
Hey peeps 🙂 thanks for the compliments.

While I can't go into a ton of detail what I can say is that we are still currently expanding our systems and increasing our limitations so I can't put a hard number out there. What makes this different from some of the other games that you mentioned is that this is PvP but it's not in it's own world. Planetside and Mag are PvP games without any PvE elements, in Defiance while you're out there doing PvP you will come across groups of other players out doing missions and stuff together, you still see and will be attacked by all of the NPC's that exist in the world and this combination is something the other games just can't do.

Ah, so Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, but with guns then?

Sounds fun. So long as it is freemium not pay2play :3

Gorman wrote:
Not a big fan of items specifically to show off how much you have ground at a game.

Gorman wrote:
Sounds fun. So long as it is freemium not pay2play :3

Erm, so you're a fan of items specifically to show off how much money you've spent? I really don't care if other people have special items and dress like peacocks as long as the game is still balanced & fun. However, given the choice between items for pay and items for play, I'll go with items for play.

@Tactful
I envy you. I applied as a game developer at one time but never broke in. I even want to say that i applied at Trion but I'm not sure. So while I'm happy not to have the crazy hours you guys work I'm kind of jealous that your job is cooler and pays better. 😄
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Erm, so you're a fan of items specifically to show off how much money you've spent? I really don't care if other people have special items and dress like peacocks as long as the game is still balanced & fun. However, given the choice between items for pay and items for play, I'll go with items for play.

Depends on the freemium model. For example LoL tends to be buying things that change how you look, which is fine to me. But for example DDO you usually buy boosters and quest packs etc.

I'm ok with people buying things to change how they look.

But giving people rewards for 700 headshots is just dumb. It isn't hard, it just takes a lot of time. Things like "get 500 PvP kills" - or rather, "get 500 PvP tokens and buy the item, you get tokens from kills" are also dumb. Just grindy. Anyone can get 500 PvP kills if they play for enough time.

I probably won't play a p2p game just because I don't play hardcore, so it's a waste of money for me. For $40 I expect 80+ hours over a long period of time. Not 80+ hours in a 2 month period.

p2p vs freemium, I prefer freemium. But pay2win vs p2p, p2p just because I hate pay2win...

xeromist wrote:
@Tactful
I envy you. I applied as a game developer at one time but never broke in. I even want to say that i applied at Trion but I'm not sure. So while I'm happy not to have the crazy hours you guys work I'm kind of jealous that your job is cooler and pays better. 😄

Hehe, thanks 🙂 the job does kick a lot of butt there's no denying that. But the hours are long (about 100 a week at this point and this will go up a bit more) and it can cost you a lot when it comes to things like quality time with the fam, but at the end of the day it's a job like no other and even though I've been at Trion for about 2 years now I still wake up and look forward to going to work lol.

kkn
Level 14
i have to ask, is there bulet drop when shooting from distances?

And also is there crosswind deflection,