cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE Windows 8 and RAID

dklhs90
Level 7
Hi everyone!
Its been a long time coming and Windows 8 is about to launch soon. But i have been having reading here and there and so far i am not sure if i want to upgrade to Windows 8. I am an early adapter style person and would like to be able to install Windows 8 on my beast but i am afraid that upon installation, it will mess up my RAID set up. Also, i've heard positive and negative remarks about whether games will work properly on Windows 8. So, i would like to ask you guys what your thoughts are on the matter of if the RAID will be affected and if Windows 8 will allow games (Steam, Blizzard, Gersang.co.kr, Hangame.com Netmarble.com) to be installed.

Thank you.

Aiur

Student | Gamer
44 REPLIES 44

BOLTS4BREKFAST
Level 12
I am a computer repair tech and have my own business... and I suggest you stick to windows 7.
Honestly, that is my opinion.. but I really think that Microsoft really missed the mark with Windows 8... I count on it being another "Vista".

If you want to try it, though, probably the safest way that you can go back to an intact windows 7 (in case you don't like 😎 is to do a system image of your windows 7 installation on a separate drive, then install windows 8.

To restore your windows 7 install, just run your windows 7 repair CD (which you will be prompted to create when you create your windows 7 image) , select repair, and then select restore from system image.. and be sure to load the Intel raid drivers which can be found on the Asus download site. As long as the drive that the image was saved to is connected to the computer, it will automatically find the image and load it onto your raid drives just like it was before. Hope this helps!
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
Intel i7 3960X OC'd @ 4.7Ghz
Corsair H100i (Push/Pull)
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
16GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz
2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
2 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
SoundBlaster Z PCIe Sound Card
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

When i do that Windows 7 image, will it copy all my software the way it is onto the separate drive or will it only copy the important system files? I have also been thinking about the process of installing the RAID drivers on installation of OS but i am leaning slightly onto the side of "it is way too troublesome for me". I wonder if there will ever be a more user friendly way to install RAID drivers. Maybe i should just get a RAID card?

Student | Gamer

BOLTS4BREKFAST wrote:
I am a computer repair tech and have my own business... and I suggest you stick to windows 7.
Honestly, that is my opinion.. but I really think that Microsoft really missed the mark with Windows 8... I count on it being another "Vista".

If you want to try it, though, probably the safest way that you can go back to an intact windows 7 (in case you don't like 😎 is to do a system image of your windows 7 installation on a separate drive, then install windows 8.

To restore your windows 7 install, just run your windows 7 repair CD (which you will be prompted to create when you create your windows 7 image) , select repair, and then select restore from system image.. and be sure to load the Intel raid drivers which can be found on the Asus download site. As long as the drive that the image was saved to is connected to the computer, it will automatically find the image and load it onto your raid drives just like it was before. Hope this helps!

When i do that Windows 7 image, will it copy all my software the way it is onto the separate drive or will it only copy the important system files? I have also been thinking about the process of installing the RAID drivers on installation of OS but i am leaning slightly onto the side of "it is way too troublesome for me". I wonder if there will ever be a more user friendly way to install RAID drivers. Maybe i should just get a RAID card?

Student | Gamer

Restoring of win 7 system image does not work with uefi raid...
The good thing is the installation time of win 8 takes 10 min...
The only problems I got so far were 3d mark 11 results with nvidia and f1 2011/f1 2012...

nikolator wrote:
Restoring of win 7 system image does not work with uefi raid...

To be precise what you mean is that backup programs do not support bootable/system GPT partitioned disks.
These programs do:
Acronis True Image 2012-2013
Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 (I think the free version can do it too).
EaseUS Todo Backup Home 5.0

The only problems I got so far were 3d mark 11 results with nvidia and f1 2011/f1 2012...

Did you install the latest Futuremark SystemInfo update?
http://www.futuremark.com/support/downloads

Never played F1 but what is exactly the issue you are experiencing with that game?

EDIT: Dummyplug try Classic Shell 🙂
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
To be precise what you mean is that backup programs do not support bootable/system GPT partitioned disks.
These programs do:

So, any of the 3 softwares will allow me to make an image of my boot drive so that i can restore to Windows 7 if I hate Windows 8. But, are the steps for restoring user friendly and simple to follow because if they are complicated, I might as well not upgrade at all and save some bucks for maybe a GTX 7xx series card when it comes.

Student | Gamer

Nodens wrote:
These programs do:

Did you install the latest Futuremark SystemInfo update?
http://www.futuremark.com/support/downloads

Never played F1 but what is exactly the issue you are experiencing with that game?

EDIT: Dummyplug try Classic Shell 🙂
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Hello Nodens!
I mean that Windows 7 system image recovery do not support uefi Raid
Acronis has a lot of background "backup and Synchronize" processes, so I'm sure it's not good for SSD.
Btw I tried to use Acronis 2012 recovery media disk to restore uefi raid 0 and it did not work.
I did not tried the other soft.

F1 2011 uses Microsoft Games for Windows LIVE-Redistributables, and Windows 8 uses Xbox 360 LIVE-Redistributables - so it is a problem to fix. Right now Windows 8 compability site says that f1 2011 is "not compatible". But I found a fix for that...
And I could not find a fix for F1 2012...

3d mark 11 - yes, I use futuremark system info 4.12.0

Best Regards

R4E3960X
Level 10
dklhs90 wrote:
Hi everyone!
Its been a long time coming and Windows 8 is about to launch soon. But i have been having reading here and there and so far i am not sure if i want to upgrade to Windows 8. I am an early adapter style person and would like to be able to install Windows 8 on my beast but i am afraid that upon installation, it will mess up my RAID set up. Also, i've heard positive and negative remarks about whether games will work properly on Windows 8. So, i would like to ask you guys what your thoughts are on the matter of if the RAID will be affected and if Windows 8 will allow games (Steam, Blizzard, Gersang.co.kr, Hangame.com Netmarble.com) to be installed.

Thank you.

Aiur

As my system, STEAM working very well with SONIC GENERATION GAMES perform better than Windows 7 SP1. 😛
Intel Core i7 3960X 😮 C2 SR0KF 😮 @3.3GHz ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME BIOS 3602 03/15/2013 16 GB GSKILL ZL 9-9-9-24-1T @1600MHz Quad Channel HIS HD7979 1050MHz GPU 1500MHz DDR5 120GB OCZ VERTEX 3 SATA 6Gbps ASUS 24X DVD Corsair AX750 WINDOWS 8 PRO X64 6.2.9200.16384 RELEASE😮

Nodens
Level 16
To answer your original question. You won't have any problem with games or RAID on Win8. The interface is a mess and it has a few other annoying things as well but once you disable all that Win8 engine is superior than 7 in every way. The drivers are still in early status and you may have small issues with things depending on your hardware. But on a bare RIVE system with the hardware I see in your signature it should be fine. In case you want to roll back use BOLTS4BREKFAST's advice.

Th easiest, free way to disable the Modern/Metro interface of Win8, is Classic Shell (http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/).
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.