Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nodens View Post
    ...Anyhow you can always use the free application I suggested above...
    Some time ago I prepared custom installation disk of Windows 7 with aps, upgrades, injected drivers (generalize for "out of the box" + imagex). It works perfect for everything (uefi, raid and etc). But the time of installation is compared or may be even higher then regular manual installation. It's funny...

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

Quote Originally Posted by nikolator View Post
    So just try autoruns http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx
    You will be suprised...
    I won't be. Like I said I do know of the program and I know exactly what it does. I just check the locations that can run "autorun" processes manually (everything that autoruns does). I am a masochist in that department but I like doing things the manual way. Also autoruns won't see a few things if they're cleverly hidden (eg by a rootkit) so paranoia pays off in the end I do know that Acronis loads several processes but the only one (if I remember right) that starts as an autorun and is not a service is trueimagemonitor.exe (I only install the application if I want to clone drives then I keep it uninstalled). Anyhow, the application was suggested as one that can work with GPT system disks on anykind of RAID. Someone can only use it and uninstall it after imaging or if they need regular scheduled backups they actually want those processes running. They have low resource utilization anyway. Also you can backup via the bootable cd so you don't have to ever install it again once you create the bootable cd of your choice.

Some time ago I prepared custom installation disk of Windows 7 with aps, upgrades, injected drivers (generalize for "out of the box" + imagex). It works perfect for everything (uefi, raid and etc). But the time of installation is compared or may be even higher then regular manual installation. It's funny...
    Since you know how to use the deployment tools you shouldn't need anything else. Why did you think it would take less time than manual installation? It is more or less the same process but with additional stuff installed.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Ugh too much tech for me to handle! I guess I will just wait until I have enough money to buy a solid SSD for my boot drive and a few more for just storage. Right now i have 60GB SSD as my boot and 3 60GB SSD in RAID 0 for some of this and that and a 1TB storage drive. Maybe when i can afford 4 258GB SSD I might move to Windows 8. Is it possible to keep my Windows 7 even though I change boot drives? do I have to call Microsoft and tell them that my boot drive died, so i would like another key for my OS?

Student | Gamer

Nodens PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Your Windows Key should allow more activations by itself. If you have reached the limit of activations you can call the automated MS phone number and activate there.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Your Windows Key should allow more activations by itself. If you have reached the limit of activations you can call the automated MS phone number and activate there.
    Cool i didnt know that! Is the MS phone number on the box the OS came with?

Student | Gamer

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I won't be. Like I said I do know of the program and I know exactly what it does. I just check the locations that can run "autorun" processes manually (everything that autoruns does). I am a masochist in that department but I like doing things the manual way. Also autoruns won't see a few things if they're cleverly hidden (eg by a rootkit) so paranoia pays off in the end I do know that Acronis loads several processes but the only one (if I remember right) that starts as an autorun and is not a service is trueimagemonitor.exe (I only install the application if I want to clone drives then I keep it uninstalled). Anyhow, the application was suggested as one that can work with GPT system disks on anykind of RAID. Someone can only use it and uninstall it after imaging or if they need regular scheduled backups they actually want those processes running. They have low resource utilization anyway. Also you can backup via the bootable cd so you don't have to ever install it again once you create the bootable cd of your choice.

Since you know how to use the deployment tools you shouldn't need anything else. Why did you think it would take less time than manual installation? It is more or less the same process but with additional stuff installed.
    About Acronis. My point is: there are almost no changes in background processes if you will try disable some functions in program. According Acronis forum there are some manual tricks to disable them. Believe or not they work, and they make your drives running. My frustration of them is "licensing of installation", that's it. Btw it is the fastest tool to create image. And is it funny that Russian company did not released Acronis 2013 in Russia?
    Btw it's not necessary to install Acronis 2012 (I did not try 2013) to use it. Just install on any comp free edition and create bootable restore media. Then it could be used to create and restore Acronis image of any other comp without installation of the program (definitely except uefi raid).

About restore: it's not my problem, I know how and what to do. I just tried to warn people that it's impossible to restore system image for uefi raid system in Windows 7 by a couple clicks. That's it.

Dear Nodens,
    Could you, please, make some comments about some things that I noticed with Windows 8 pro "9200"?
    There is no automatic creation of restore points after updates and installations.
    I see a lot of instability after installation new drivers, games, apps (even officially compatible). One third of times "sfc /scannow" shows error impossible to correct.
    Windows uses Windows 7 image restore. I tried it once without success to restore uefi raid 0. Then I chose clean reinstallation instead of (10 min!). It looks like even they have raid driver inside but it's "not uefi" one so the restoration of uefi raid will not work?
    I really appreciate your help.
    Thank you and King Regards!

ROG Enthusiast Array

About restore: it's not my problem, I know how and what to do. I just tried to warn people that it's impossible to restore system image for uefi raid system in Windows 7 by a couple clicks. That's it.
    So, you're saying the image will restore everything but the RAID? Then its cool with me because i was gatting a bit tired about worrying about maintaining the RAID when I could just get bigger size SSD to make up for smaller size SSD in RAID?

Student | Gamer

Nodens PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Then it could be used to create and restore Acronis image of any other comp without installation of the program (definitely except uefi raid).
    If you add the drivers to the WinPE Acronis bootable restore media or use the Linux variant then it will restore on RAID GPT just fine.

There is no automatic creation of restore points after updates and installations.
    System restore is one of the first things I disable. So I do not know if it's currently bugged. What I know for sure is that it is supposed to create automatic restore points after windows updates and driver installations anyhow. Perhaps there's a bug though. Or maybe you have the service disabled? One more thing that can go wrong is if your drive changes GUID for some reason, system restore will bug out thinking that it is enabled on a drive that doesn't exist in the system anymore. On the System Restore settings you will see an option about an extra drive that isn't found, in that case. If that is your case just disable the phantom option and it will go away.

I see a lot of instability after installation new drivers, games, apps (even officially compatible). One third of times "sfc /scannow" shows error impossible to correct.
    Ok that means there is something wrong with your particular system. If sfc reports unrecoverable errors you have serious data corruption. It's not windows, it's something else that causes it. It's usually faulty hardware, unstable overclock or really bad drivers that can cause such corruption. Can you send me the log so I can take a look and tell you more? I have several installations of RTM Win8 Enterprise and Pro and they all work properly. Surely the drivers need a lot of work but everything works properly.

Windows uses Windows 7 image restore. I tried it once without success to restore uefi raid 0. Then I chose clean reinstallation instead of (10 min!). It looks like even they have raid driver inside but it's "not uefi" one so the restoration of uefi raid will not work?
    I really appreciate your help.
    Thank you and King Regards!
    There is not such thing as a UEFI RAID driver. There's only the standard RAID driver for your controller. When you install in UEFI mode, the only thing that happens is that you create a GPT partition table on your disk, with protective MBR. The following default partitions are made:
    EFI Partition -- Holds boot loader and can be used for EFI related stuff...
    MSR -- Reserved partition that can be used by Windows for certain operations.
    Primary Data Partition -- The partition which hold the Operating System.

As long as the RAID driver is installed and the operating system supports GPT+EFI and the software supports GPT, then everything should work as intended. Win 8 complies with all of the above. Win7 is compliant as well. Support for bootable GPT disks is only in the x64 version and only on boards with UEFI support.

RealBench Developer.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Since on amazon they are doing a 46% sale on Samsung 256GB 830 SSD SATA 6GBPS 2.5 inch Basic Kit i might be on the verge to an upgrade of storage SSD's and boot SSD. If i use one of the imaging software I will be able to 100% copy the boot drive with no problems onto the new SSD? and if the recovery involves the similar process of an OS install, all i just need to do is to inject the RAID drivers right?

Student | Gamer

Nodens PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Indeed. For the case of just moving an installation to SSD there are numerous free utilities that do it (not with imaging but with live disk to disk cloning).

RealBench Developer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast