cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step by step for clean install

AC3OFSPADES
Level 7
So I have had my g74sx since February and I've decided that I want to do a clean install. Lately my computer has been getting slower on bootup and shutdown. Sometimes when i restart it, it will just sit on the shutting down screen for a hour or so. I was looking through the forum and couldnt really find a step by step guide on what to do. If anybody could help me out that would be great.
You are the product of millions of years of evolution. ****ing act like it.
3 REPLIES 3

zsld0423
Level 9
1. Grab all the drivers you need from here and put them on a USB Flash Drive for later.

2A. Download a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit disc from here and burn that to a DVD

2B. Alternatively, you could do what PILGRIM suggested and use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to put the installation files on a USB which would speed up the installation process on your computer.

3. Back up any important data to an external hard drive

3A. I'd recommend doing a Windows Backup and backing up the entire drive so you can get all of the files, like in AppData that could possibly have saved games, just like some saves might be in the My Documents folder

4. Use Activation Backup & Restore to backup your Windows Activation . Alternatively, just have the Windows Serial Key from the bottom of your laptop handy so you can activate Windows 7 again.

5. Boot from the DVD (usually done by pressing either F10 or F12, possibly Esc to get to the boot menu)

6. Go through the setup procedure, and make sure to choose Custom Installation, and format your hard drive (I'd recommend leaving the Recovery partition alone)

7. After Windows is done installing, and you are at the desktop, plug in the USB and install all of the drivers you grabbed earlier

8. Move your important files back, re-install any programs such as Office, your games, etc.

I think that's about it, that's all I ever do when I do fresh installs, but if someone has something to add I can put it in this guide
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

PILGRIM
Level 11
2. Download a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit disc from here and burn that to a DVD

..or use the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to install OS via a USB stick.
The USB stick must have at least 4 GB capacity. This option should be faster and more reliable than
the DVD install option (takes around 25 minutes).

zsld0423, methinks your Windows OS installation guide summed it all up. Nice!.. 🙂
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
..or use the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to install OS via a USB stick.
The USB stick must have at least 4 GB capacity. This option should be faster and more reliable than
the DVD install option (takes around 25 minutes).

zsld0423, methinks your Windows OS installation guide summed it all up. Nice!.. 🙂

Oh yeah, completely forgot about the USB option lol. I don't know how, because that's how I've been installing it myself for quite some time now. Guess I was just recalling the work routine haha. Thanks!
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate