cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX-XN1 Just Up And Died

sebastianosmith
Level 7
Hello All,

My wife's G74 died last night in the middle of a Skyrim session. No excess heat. No magic smoke escaped. No pops, whistles or ozone smells. It simply shut down and refuses to restart. I've metered the PS which is putting out about 19.5 VDC. I tried another PS from an old G2S model (same voltage, fewer amps) just to see if she'd turn over. Nada. I removed the battery and held down the power button for about a minute and a half in an attempt to clear the CMOS (at least that's what I've been told that does) and nothing. I've removed and re-seated the memory and HDs to no avail. I am loathe to open it up to check the solder joints on the plug as I've read that can be an issue.

It's just shy of a year old; a little over 11 months in fact. I might be able to warranty the thing if I can find the paperwork, but I'd rather not have it gone that long if at all possible as my wife uses it for work and play.

So, does anyone have any other suggestions? Is this a "known issue" with a serviceable resolution? I really need to get this thing running.

Many thanks for any input.
1 REPLY 1

cl-scott
Level 12
That is indeed a strange one, and the only possibilities I can come up with would require sending it in for an RMA. So if you're coming up on the end of the warranty period, I'd suggest you start looking for that, and then setting up the RMA ASAP.