cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help. Maximus IV Extreme seems to have serious power issues

Retired
Not applicable
I am on my second board now. I had to RMA the first one to ASUS because it shorted out when I plugged in the 8 pin atx cable. This only seems to be an issue when the Sandy Bridge processor is installed, so something is very wrong here. It ruined my first processor. After changing power supplies, ordering another processor, and getting a new board from ASUS, the same thing happened again. I'm getting tired of this, and I hope the third board will be the charm. If I had known I was going to go through all of this, I would never have purchased an ASUS board, and I probably never will again! Anyone else experiencing issues like this with this board? I am testing this board out of the case, so standoffs are not an issue, and when the 8 pin atx cable isn't plugged in, everything powers up the way it should. Plug in the 8 pin atx, and you can hear it short out inside the 8 pin connector. Two bad boards in a row? I'm puzzled. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
21 REPLIES 21

Retired
Not applicable
had the board for a week and no issues at all

if I had to guess your doing something wrong.... what I do not know

Kipper
Level 10
Yea, I have had the M4E for several weeks now and I have been torturing it without so much as a single hiccup.

Raja
Level 13
Ashcat wrote:
I am on my second board now. I had to RMA the first one to ASUS because it shorted out when I plugged in the 8 pin atx cable. This only seems to be an issue when the Sandy Bridge processor is installed, so something is very wrong here. It ruined my first processor. After changing power supplies, ordering another processor, and getting a new board from ASUS, the same thing happened again. I'm getting tired of this, and I hope the third board will be the charm. If I had known I was going to go through all of this, I would never have purchased an ASUS board, and I probably never will again! Anyone else experiencing issues like this with this board? I am testing this board out of the case, so standoffs are not an issue, and when the 8 pin atx cable isn't plugged in, everything powers up the way it should. Plug in the 8 pin atx, and you can hear it short out inside the 8 pin connector. Two bad boards in a row? I'm puzzled. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hi,

This is certainly not something I've heard of before. What are you mounting the motherboard in? A short could only be caused if something conductive is touching the back of the board. Which PSUs have you used?

-Raja

Praz
Level 13
Ashcat wrote:
and when the 8 pin atx cable isn't plugged in, everything powers up the way it should. Plug in the 8 pin atx, and you can hear it short out inside the 8 pin connector.

Something is terribly wrong. It is not possible that the board can properly power up without the EPS +12V connector plugged in.

Retired
Not applicable
yes, the board will power with just the 24 pin but, the CPU will not.

Six Foot Ginger wrote:
yes, the board will power with just the 24 pin but, the CPU will not.

I agree but I would not consider that to fit the definition of "can properly power up" as I wrote in my post. There can be several meaning to what Ashcat wrote in his first post but I took "everything powers up the way it should" to mean a functioning board.

All this is nether here nor there though. Ashcat needs to get this issue sorted. Perhaps when he posts again he can clarify what he considers functioning as well as detailing what components he is using.

Retired
Not applicable
i hope your psu is powered off or unplugged when putting in the cables. i also hope this is the CPU 8 pin power connector and not a PCI-E that you may have accidentally forced in?

Retired
Not applicable
good point

Retired
Not applicable
Hey all, I appreciate the input. This isn't my first computer build, so I'm puzzled with this one. When I first set the board up, I installed the proc, memory, cpu fan and installed it in the case. I made all of my connections to the power supply (I'm using the Corsair Gold series AX 1200). At the time I did not have a gpu, so I was just seeing if everything powered up after getting everything installed, something I usually do on all builds. Nothing out of the ordinary. As soon as I hit the power switch, everything began to start for a split second, then immediately shut down. When I unplugged the 8 pin cable and powered up, all of the fans and drives powered up as they should. Plugging the 8 pin cable back in caused a short and everything shut down. I called a rep at Asus, and she suggested that I remove the board from the case, and that something was probably shorting it out. I did so, and after re-connecting everything, it did the same thing. I removed the Sandybridge proc, and powered it up with everything in place. It worked fine. Put the proc back in, then power up, everything quits. I RMA'd the board to Asus, and they sent me a brand new one. This one did the same thing, and I kept it out of the case as well. I called Asus again. They suggested a different power supply, and a new processor. I purchased a new power supply at a local Best Buy store, and ordered another proc from Newegg. Connected the new power supply, put in the new proc, and I'm still getting the same problem. I'm puzzled to say the least. (I returned the power supply to Best Buy, and got my money back out of that at least) Asus was informed of all that I did, and they said that the board must be bad. I'm waiting for the third board to arrive now. I also ordered a basic Intel board to test as well. I'm really puzzled here. Am I missing something in the build process? I'm using the Corsair Obsidian 800D case. Are there issues that it might be causing? Any help is appreciated.