Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ashcat View Post
    Hey all, I appreciate the input. This isn't my first computer build, so I'm puzzled with this one. When I first set the board up, I installed the proc, memory, cpu fan and installed it in the case. I made all of my connections to the power supply (I'm using the Corsair Gold series AX 1200). At the time I did not have a gpu, so I was just seeing if everything powered up after getting everything installed, something I usually do on all builds. Nothing out of the ordinary. As soon as I hit the power switch, everything began to start for a split second, then immediately shut down. When I unplugged the 8 pin cable and powered up, all of the fans and drives powered up as they should. Plugging the 8 pin cable back in caused a short and everything shut down. I called a rep at Asus, and she suggested that I remove the board from the case, and that something was probably shorting it out. I did so, and after re-connecting everything, it did the same thing. I removed the Sandybridge proc, and powered it up with everything in place. It worked fine. Put the proc back in, then power up, everything quits. I RMA'd the board to Asus, and they sent me a brand new one. This one did the same thing, and I kept it out of the case as well. I called Asus again. They suggested a different power supply, and a new processor. I purchased a new power supply at a local Best Buy store, and ordered another proc from Newegg. Connected the new power supply, put in the new proc, and I'm still getting the same problem. I'm puzzled to say the least. (I returned the power supply to Best Buy, and got my money back out of that at least) Asus was informed of all that I did, and they said that the board must be bad. I'm waiting for the third board to arrive now. I also ordered a basic Intel board to test as well. I'm really puzzled here. Am I missing something in the build process? I'm using the Corsair Obsidian 800D case. Are there issues that it might be causing? Any help is appreciated.
    I have a Corsair AX1200 here and also have two MIVE boards and have had no issues like this. The PSU is fully modular but Corsair do label the cables (CPU, PCIE etc). So I am like you puzzled as to why two different boards and PSUs have had this problem- It is bizarre indeed.

When you get your third board can you post up some pics of various connectors plugged in etc before you power it up please?? The Corsair case should have no obstructions causing a power short. However, you may want to test the system on an open test bed before hand to make sure. A non conductive surface will do - I generally use some cardboard on a wooden table.

-Raja

Six Foot Ginger
    I also have an AX1200 and had no issues at all

Ashcat
    I will do that. I'm aware that the plugs are labeled (CPU, etc.). Asus has been great in support here, and I certainly hope the third board does the trick. Maybe I just won the lottery with these two boards. I will be getting a std. Intel 1155 board soon, and I'm going to test all of the components with that board as well to see if perhaps it's a bad proc or power supply, although I can't imagine two bad procs in a row, which leads me to believe that it's the mobo. Asus seems to agree with that as well, as they had no problem with RMA'ing the board, and even paying for the shipping as well! Something isn't right, that's for sure. It doesn't take much to short out a board, but I've never run across anything like this before. I'm really anxious to use this board with the SandyBridge proc!

Ok cool, might be wise to test the PSU somehow and confirm it's working - otherwise we could be gunning at a situation where the PSU is also damaged to the extent that it is capable of taking out components.

-Raja

Ashcat
    Good idea, however, it did it with two different psu's, and that really leads me to think that it was a board issue.

Ok, well make sure you don't plug that PSU straight into the board to be sure - do you have a spare PSU that is known good there now?

-Raja

I left ASUS, please contact cl-scott Array

Hi Ashcat,

Can you please PM me and provide all of your RMA numbers regarding this issue? Also, if you know the serial numbers of the first 2 boards please provide those as well. If not, I can find out the serial numbers from you RMA numbers. Thanks.

Ashcat
    Just an update here everyone--and thanks again for all of the wonderful support. Just installed an Intel 1155 board. CPU, Graphics Card, PSU, Memory, EVERYTHING--working as it should. Using all of the same components with the ASUS boards that I was having trouble with. This leads me to believe that the boards were having problems of some kind with the 8 pin ATX power plug in.

Shikyo
    A friend of mine got an Asus board a few weeks ago for a build (not sure which motherboard) and Everything fried. He found that the +12v was in the wrong place in the connector so check that. It sent +12v straight in and fried everything, harddrives and all.

Ashcat
    Ouch! Not good. I'm not sure what the issue was. All of the components--Blu-Ray burner, hard drive, memory, cpu, gpu, psu, fans--that I have connected to the Intel board----everything is testing out okay, although I have another Sandy Bridge proc to test, so far so good on the component end of things. My third replacement board arrived over the weekend, but I'm out of town right now, so I haven't had a chance to test it. I might add, the Intel board is a good all around basic board if you don't need the bells and whistles, but I'm itching to try this Maximus IV! I will keep everyone posted. Asus has been really great in getting boards back to me. I hope this one is the last!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast