cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme Debug Code 00, Red CPU_LED, Green DRAM, VSA VCORE Q LED

target39
Level 7
I'm having problems with my Rampage IV Extreme. On BIOS 1305, it would POST but it wouldn't boot since CPU temperatures read 89°C, even though it was nowhere near above 65°C so I assumed it was a BIOS problem and proceeded to update the BIOS to 2105 using the ASUS EZ FLASH 2 with the .ROM to .CAP converter from ASUS' website. It was successful up until it updated iROG1 when it restarted and started to give me the debug code 00 and won't POST. I did not notice the Q LEDs until recently so I have no idea whether or not the CPU_LED was red or not when it did POST. I used BIOS Flashback utility and updated it to the new 3005 on both BIOS1 and BIOS2. Now it still won't POST and gives me the debug code 00, red CPU_LED and green DRAM, and VSA VCORE. By the way, I don't have other LGA2011 processors to test this with and I can't go back to 1305 since I converted to .CAP

All testing done on an electrostatic mat
System:
CPU: Intel Xeon 8 core @1.6GHZ (it was recognized when it did POST, but had temperature problems)
RAM: 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM (functional on other systems, temporary, only for testing)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX (temporary)
CPU Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Liquid Cooling System
18 REPLIES 18

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You can in fact flash back to ROM. BIOS flashback method renaming BIOS file ERALL.ROM if you want to try it..... Is your PSU OK?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest you start your build from scratch. Your system will not read a false temperature in BIOS that is out by that much.

I personally think your cooler was a) not working, b) not fitted correctly.

Just hope that you do not have a toasted CPU. Do you have any idea what kind of voltage was set when you booted that first time?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I would suggest you start your build from scratch. Your system will not read a false temperature in BIOS that is out by that much.

I personally think your cooler was a) not working, b) not fitted correctly.

Just hope that you do not have a toasted CPU. Do you have any idea what kind of voltage was set when you booted that first time?

Not sure what you mean by "start your build from scratch." Do you mean take all hardware out, then reseat the same components? Because I have done that multiple times. I also cleared CMOS using the I/O button and took out the battery for 12 hours. No change in anything. Cooler does work since I tested in another system and it worked great. It was fitted correctly as I followed every step in the manual and used the correct mounting screws (LGA2011 screws) I can't recall the CPU voltage when it did POST but I do remember it being the default voltage and it was definitely not overvolted. It was maybe in the ballpark of 1.03V to 1.34V (large range I know but anything in between shouldn't fry a CPU)

Thanks for responding.

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
If all else fails, check your CPU socket for bent pins. All (of each of two sets bend differently) must look uniform and even. If there are any that look different, you have a bent pin. If you manhandled your cooler mount, it's possible that an entire corner of pins are bent down. GL.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes that is what I mean. And I thought that you had tried doing so already.

I would suggest that if possible could you please find a mate or a store that has a compatible CPU and test your board out. I wonder if either your board or your CPU have passed on. That temp reading still bugs me big time. And my gut feeling is that your CPU is dead. But please understand that I prefer to work with results from tests not gut feelings. So please try and take both in to be tested.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Seems like everywhere I looked that ASUS dumped the Xeon 8 core support back in July / August... I can't get anymore than '00' ever since they upgraded to the .CAP !!!!

Sorry look like our 8 cores are now end of life... AHHHHHHhhhh

SEan

futiless wrote:
Seems like everywhere I looked that ASUS dumped the Xeon 8 core support back in July / August... I can't get anymore than '00' ever since they upgraded to the .CAP !!!!

SEan

Well you can flash back or revert to a earlier non CAP bios if you want. There are two ways of doing that. The first is the rename and USB flash back method. See my sig for the renaming protocol. And the others is to get a new BIOS chip flashed to the BIOS of your choice from either Ebay or maybe from ASUS.

futiless wrote:

SEan

Flash back to BIOS 1404 or older, at least you won't get "00" anymore. You may even get it to work. It worked for me, except now I have the problem I started out with, CPU temperatures. CPU is reading 89°C again for me with a liquid cooler even though it is nowhere near water boiling point. Yours may not have this bug so I suggest you give it a try if it's not too much trouble.

HiVizMan wrote:
Well you can flash back or revert to a earlier non CAP bios if you want. There are two ways of doing that. The first is the rename and USB flash back method. See my sig for the renaming protocol. And the others is to get a new BIOS chip flashed to the BIOS of your choice from either Ebay or maybe from ASUS.

I flashed BIOS1 to 1404 and BIOS2 with 1202 using a flash drive (the motherboard came with 1305) and I was able to get it to POST! 😄
Unfortunately though, it's the CPU temperature problem again. CPU voltage is 1.056V. I think the CPU might be faulty, or the motherboard does not fully support it. I might just get an Intel I7-3930K, or should I get a Z9PE-D8 WS motherboard? Or maybe I should wait until Ivy Bridge LGA 2011 comes out. Any suggestions?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would not be surprised if the CPU sensor is not working correctly with the motherboard. Depending on what cooler you are using, a touch test will certainly tell you if the cooler is hot and therefore if the CPU is hot.

I ran a X79 system with only a air cooler and no fan for a stress test - upper 80's all the way. The fins of the cooler were warm to the touch and the base was positively toasty. Yet when the fan was on and working, 45' and both the block and the fins were cool to the touch.