Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

Well, I've just taken the plunge and placed the order on the SRH440! Ended up costing $120 (yikes) with taxes and shipping, but considering it would've run me $146 at LD, I guess I'm satisfied. My parents aren't going to be too happy, but what can you do...

Once I get them, I'll be sure to update you guys on its performance, since this is obviously not a gaming headset, and it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I've seen it recommended against for gaming, but that was by a basshead, so I'll have to compare to my Sennheisers.

As for an amp, I'll read up on some audiophile forums, but I don't want to spend too much money... :C Saving for an education and all...

Thanks for all the talk!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Yes, let us know how those nice pair of cans work out for gaming. And yes to saving up for education too. I am about to finish graduate school in engineering and it was expensive but worth it.
    Intel Core 3930K at 4.25GHz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme BIOS 1404
    Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
    EVGA GTX 570 SC 2-Way SLI @ 822/2000/1.038V 24/7 Drivers: WHQL 301.42
    2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    Asus XONAR Phoebus
    Corsair H100 (p/p)
    Corsair Vengance RAM 16GB @1600MHz
    Enermax 1350W PSU
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

ROG Member Array

Even if it might be late, I want to tell you my story with headsets, last 4 years I was plagued by cable and speaker problems with my headsets and they have been in very casual use. I had Turtle beach, Logitech and Sennheiser PC series ones from 100-150 EUR range.

Two weeks ago my Sennheiser one started to have problems with right speaker.. That was enough, I was ready to put bag of money to headsets what just work. With some research I found Beyerdynamic mxm-300 what was... quite pricy (299 EUR).. But I do hope that putting more money to headphones I will get at least more than one year of usage..

ROG Member Array

Cool

They have arrived! The SRH 440's are here!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8170328003_5bde65097f_c.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	13580

I actually got them about a week ago, but I've been steadily using them and compiling my thoughts. So far, I like what I see. I'll split this "mini-review" into a few sections.

Build
    The actual construction of these phones is pretty acceptable for its price. Not the best I've ever seen, certainly, but for their aesthetic purposes and cost, they offer reasonable sturdiness. The whole chassis appears to be made out of matte black plastic that is relatively thick and strong, and has a soft-touch feel to it. Not quite rubberized like the case of a G75 or G55, but not shiny-smooth and cheap-feeling like some Razer products, either. The driver housing has a cover (the part with the logo on it) that is made of metal, with the Shure and SRH 440 logos engraved from it, rather than being glued on. The band is flexible and can be twisted forwards and back if needed, and the padding on it is of a smoother faux leather. The ear pads are made of a similar material, and while the padding is smooth and sorta-squishy, it's nothing you would call "plush" or "obscenely soft."

Name:	8170327065_050ab7b6e7_c.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	13581

Comfort
    Wearing these headphones is a a foray onto both sides of the good/bad line. They are loose enough for me to wear comfortably with my thick glasses, without causing any discomfort from pressure on the temples. The cups can swivel horizontally a few degrees in each direction, and can also tilt vertically. Additionally, the headband can extend quite a lot; it has numeral markings ranging from 1 to 10, and I leave them at about 3 on both sides. This ensures that there should be almost no issues with the fit, and I'm sure they'd fit most anyone to a reasonable degree. However, here's where the bad comes in.

The headband is very lightly padded; in fact, the padding is almost nonexistent. It doesn't appear to have a hard metal or plastic arch piece, instead seeming to use a harder rubberized piece for flexibility. This means that without padding, you're relying on the band itself for softness and comfort, and unfortunately it doesn't really cut it. After an hour or so of wearing, sometimes 2 or 3, it will feel like the band is jamming into the top of your head a bit, and you have to shift it around your head or take a break. It's not terrible, but it could definitely use more, and softer, padding for added comfort. That would really help these cans.

Name:	8170354988_c01f58f56f_c.jpg 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	13582

On the subject of padding, the ear-pads themselves need some work, too. While they appear very deep indeed from the side profile, their width (which can completely enclose your ears) means that they end up being quite shallow, to the point that the tips of your ears quite often come into actual contact with the drivers, or their metal housing, behind the thin fabric mesh, inside. This can lead to pressure discomfort, and occasionally requires a bit of fiddling. The ear pads are also not puppy-fluff soft; they're almost stiff. However, this does not produce any discomfort. I just wish they had simply added more padding to both the band and the cups, that would've really elevated the plush level.

Sound
    The most important bit, of course. When looking at headphones with the ability to spend as much as you want, those $150, $200, even $250 sets can start looking pretty attractive, with all their superior sound and style. However, if you temper your thirst for expensive excess and remember that a few years ago you didn't even know that "sound" and "quality" had any correlation in the same sentence, you'll realize that "not-the-best" quality is not the same as "poor" quality.

To that end, these headphones sound great! They have a wider soundstage than my Sennheisers, or at least, that's what I interpret. What I mean is, they make the music I listen to sound further from my ears, and more "open" than my Sennheisers do, which is not a bad thing at all. They have, in my opinion, plenty of bass, unlike some have mentioned, and overall provide a good quality sound experience. Getting these phones, I was afraid that dubstep music and gaming gunshots would sound tinny and lifeless, but that's not the case. The bass beats come loud and tight, and you can hear all the rumbles, bangs, squeaks and rattles crystal. I haven't the most experience in high-quality sound, but for a gaming and movie freak, and a quality junky like myself, these do very well for all my needs, which range from RTS and FPS gaming, to blockbuster movie and TV show viewing, to tasteful and rocking music listening. I hear no problems with these headphones, and I hope they serve me well into the future, perhaps like my old, indestructible Sony's did!

A few final points remain.

Name:	8170353832_2160f2d158_c.jpg 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	13583

The carrying case, pictured here, is nothing special, and is in fact almost identical to the one I got with my Sennheisers, but it does the job. With the removable cord, it's a cinch to fold them up and slip into the case, if you just want to hide them overnight or you're planning on throwing them in a loose bag to take with you. They won't offer much (or any, really) protection against drops, but for scratches and bumps, it's just fine. Speaking of the cord...

Name:	8170358036_b7f7b1fa92_c.jpg 
Size:	240.5 KB 
ID:	13584

It's a very nice, coiled sucker that can extend to infinity if you need to. It's very nicely rubberized, is thicker than my Sennheiser cord, and the detachability is a total boon in all situations. Need to pop the cans in their case? Take the jack out and slip them in. Need to reach over to grab something, but the cord's stuck in a nook? Detach the cord, and reach away. Need to place the headphones on a table, but want to leave the cord plugged in? Detach and place wherever you want. The instant versatility is a great bonus, and of course, if problems arise with the cord over time, just get a replacement. You can order the exact same one (you need to, because it attaches via a special bayonet twist-clip, and is 2.5mm on one end, 3.5mm on the other) for around 20 bucks. I should be picking up at least one more cord from a local store pretty soon, just in case. Finally, the 3.5mm - 6.3mm gold plated adapter is, again, identical to my Sennheiser one, and is in fact interchangeable. Used it with my electronic piano, worked fine and sounded great.

Overall, great phones, worth the money (I ended up paying $120 with shipping and taxes), and they suit my needs very well. They look professional (if not "k00l" or "hip"), and they sound fantastic, actually beating out the HD 205's for sound, in my opinion. For gaming? Hell yeah. I only wish Shure had provided softer and thicker padding in the three critical areas, because with that, these headphones would've gotten a 9.5/10 instead of 8. But still, i use them with my PS3 and G75 just fine, so don't let anyone tell you that you can't game without a pair of Turtlebeaches....screw those guys, anyway...
    Last edited by omamder5; 11-09-2012 at 09:54 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Nice review, Omamder5!

IMHO, I think most people who play games, watch movies and listen to music on their rig would be better off going down the dedicated circumaural audio headset instead of a gaming headset with a built in mic. You typically get better sound and you can buy a good separate mic for around 20 bucks or so. Plus, you don't have to worry about keeping track of where you put your removal headset mic.

From my own experience, I don't even use the removable mic on my Vulcan and just use the mic on my Phoebus. The mic stays in a box somewhere...which reminds me "Where is it?" lol.
    Intel Core 3930K at 4.25GHz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme BIOS 1404
    Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
    EVGA GTX 570 SC 2-Way SLI @ 822/2000/1.038V 24/7 Drivers: WHQL 301.42
    2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    Asus XONAR Phoebus
    Corsair H100 (p/p)
    Corsair Vengance RAM 16GB @1600MHz
    Enermax 1350W PSU
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2