Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

updating and clarifying any misconceptions

to all... PM to cl-scott to follow. if i can't figure out PMs here i will e via yahoomail.

Hi guys… will return to read again. It’s brain dead time in my zone. Just to clarify – some stuff got cut in edit to fit = could have left something out.

I purchased NEW in Canada from retailer with good rep. prices different plus 12% tax. Almost positive it didn’t hit selves until June in Canada. Cant see them snarking me with refurb… at least not knowingly. Microsoft said Pro upgrade smooth, easy, no need to be problematic, self installing. Upgrade logs match purchase dates. 5 or 6 critical errors dated in may ’12, HP error ’09, ’10 and ’11. HP printer. Also others not sure what they are. Assume HP errors are reason printer would never work fully. I suspect/assume May is factory.

Switch from Xp to 7 is with my brain. My old unit is XP. 7 not intuitive match for my solution to the way windows thunk in 98 and XP. Different. I set up a system that worked for me after watching windows sort of fold back on itself. Use an old system used at a job I had. Never lost stuff. but,,, there was no explanation why documents saved in music. Even when I finally sort it out, it reverted to saving in music again. it was crazy. For all I know it could have goofy hard drive like me old dell did. Had weird problems for 2 years. Turned out to be a hard drive issue- discovered a week after warranty went.

Digressing… with asus, retailers are not middle men for repairs. I was warned by the place I got the first asus I would have to deal with asus instead of them. When I had probs with my dumb HP netbook I took it to retailer, they sent to HP and it was back in a week.

However, I will be in contact with retailer. Contrary to popular belief, I had a life before I had an Asus and they are consuming it faster than the termites in my dad’s old house. Asus ate a good 8 hours out of my day today.

It did not come broken/damaged originally. It was damaged in return shipping from Asus. Courier said onus is totally on Asus. They didn’t properly package and label as fragile or handle with care. Courier and myself not responsible. Not the first time they've had complaints about poorly packaged computers. Said manufacturers just trying to save a buck and too lazy to label.

I sent whack of photos of notebook and carton. I'm sending in large carton with unit packed same as i recieved it.. They acknowledged receipt of photos. The call back didn’t come until today = another 2 hours of bs, plus letter writing, documenting etc. I’ve been stuck without things on paper in the past, but not with this from now on. Everything in print or pix. I still say they owe me new computer. it’s their fault it got wrecked. I told them I’d take legal action. They would not completely relent but there’s finally some hope. I've threatened legal action. They’re slimy.

TTYTT, I don’t give a hoot if it’s not their “policy”. I paid for new computer, got a lemon, they got it broken, they can give me a new one. If I got paid minimum wage for dealing with the computer and them I could probably buy two of them by now. They’re business practices are questionable and they are cheap. If they’d spring an extra few bucks on packaging they wouldn’t have broken computers. They wouldn’t be paying a call center so much either. Would be cheaper in long run to do things right. Won’t even provide work invoice.

Hope that helps answer some of your comments and concerns. Thanks again. sounds like there’s some ‘good joes’ in the forum.
    Will leave you with this for the night. If you send your unit for repair and you are paying the shipping and repair it goes to a different repair depot than if they are paying the bill. what's that about????

Will check in soon. Busy day tomorrow. – BrokenWing

PS FedEx coming to pick up wednesday (tommorrow...my time is PST, BC canada)---------------

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by finalhour View Post
    Windows 7 is pretty intuitive. I'd wager that there was something buggy with his install initially but I agree that he probably could've fixed with a reformatting.....G75's are not for the feint of heart, if you're not a tech-geek by today's standards than I can see the trouble he could've had.
    well, i'm shutting 'er down guys - 4 hrs later. have sent scott my info and data. i took loads of pix,
    it was my understanding that the unit came with factory (asus) installed OS and retailer did update to pro which should have been easy peasy - according to MS there shouldn't have been any issues with the upgrade.. event records re retailer all jive.

hey, if the thing worked, i could poke around and see. keyboard lights up. something (fan?) runs but that's it. imop, asus didn't address some of the concerns. they did not include a work order invoice. they said i should have gotten one but made no attempt to provide one. all they told me was they replaced the graphic card. overall they were sloppy. reminded me of a car insurance company i was with. paid loads of money over the years. when i had a little bang into a concrete lamp post when i slid on ice they didn't want to pay out 1/2 of what i'd paid into them. said my low mileage car was defunct age wise (10 yrs). in the many months i dealt with them there was not one piece of paper, not one email. it turned out they didn't even have an office. everything was done through a call centre... sure sounds like asus

as said, i was going to do a reformat BUT the graphic controller kept crashing the whole system. when i discoverd the errors i figured since i was the one who made the back up discs, any previous errors would likely be carried forward into the new install. hence it really needed to be done with uncorrupted discs. capich?

like i also said, i used to have a life until i got an asus. i will be contacting the retailer but in the meantime i'm sending this thing away. if there is an issue with the retailer it will surface at some point, altho i do think they are legit.

thanks for helping. you gave me some ideas and food for thought. back when i can get here. maybe scott can calm the water down there in wherever they are. Cheers, BrokenWing

ROG Member Array

PS when i get too much time, i'll dig thru the flash drive where i was saving EVERYTHING and see if i recorded all those admin errors and dates. depends on my mood that day. it's sorta like journalling your life or photog. if you spend so much time making records of, or taking photos of things, you don't experience the real parts. life turns into a book or photo album.

so... if G75s aren't for the 'feint of heart', just how geeky do i need to be to use one? ,,,think i should hit the hay! good night

ROG Enthusiast Array

It's pretty stink that you got a crap one. I reckon ASUS should give you a new one. My one runs perfectly and I intend for it to run perfectly for at least 5 more years. If I can keep it in pristine condition for 20 years it might end up going up in value.
    All I know is that HP gives out new things if something dies completely within the warranty period. I had a printer that died after 11 months and they sent out a newer model and gave that a new warranty. The power supply broke on the new printer and I was too lazy to ring them within the 12 months.... Ended up giving it to my brother and he got a new supply for it.

No Longer Works at ASUS Array

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiG75 View Post
    It's pretty stink that you got a crap one. I reckon ASUS should give you a new one. My one runs perfectly and I intend for it to run perfectly for at least 5 more years. If I can keep it in pristine condition for 20 years it might end up going up in value.
    All I know is that HP gives out new things if something dies completely within the warranty period. I had a printer that died after 11 months and they sent out a newer model and gave that a new warranty. The power supply broke on the new printer and I was too lazy to ring them within the 12 months.... Ended up giving it to my brother and he got a new supply for it.
    I wouldn't really be so sure. Don't know the particulars myself, but it's someone I have known for several years and have come to find very trustworthy, likes to tell the story of how HP walked out on a warranty on a laptop he had from them. That means they refused to fix or replace the unit, and now the guy is out the money he paid for it along with having a bum laptop. Sure he could take HP to court, but odds are the time, money, and flat out hassle of doing so would probably be more than the unit is worth.

No Longer Works at ASUS Array

Since the OP has seen fit to put details here in the thread, I'll do the same. I viewed some photos taken by the OP, and my personal opinion from my time working as a repair tech is that the work was a little sloppy. So I have offered a prepaid shipping label as well as having the cosmetic damage repaired under warranty.

ROG Member Array

The matter looks settled but all your problems sound OS related not hardware. Either way I hope you get the help you need it is frustrating when you are lost and confused like you are.

Quote Originally Posted by cl-scott View Post
    Since the OP has seen fit to put details here in the thread, I'll do the same. I viewed some photos taken by the OP, and my personal opinion from my time working as a repair tech is that the work was a little sloppy. So I have offered a prepaid shipping label as well as having the cosmetic damage repaired under warranty.
    Thank you! That is very generous. OP, definitely look into reinstalling windows from the recovery partition/DVDs or else downloading the ISO legally from Microsoft. If you download, punch in the product key on the bottom of your laptop.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiG75 View Post
    It's pretty stink that you got a crap one. I reckon ASUS should give you a new one. My one runs perfectly and I intend for it to run perfectly
    for at least 5 more years
    . If I can keep it in
    pristine condition for 20 years
    it might end up going up in value.
    --------
    My sentiments exactly, Kiwi. I was dreaming of it lasting like forever. Just gotta say I luved it. I used to be world’s worst typer. Zeus made me want to type… oo la la. I deserve a new one! Dang thing had lots of goofies, graphic card bad, etc. It yanks my chain that Asus would treat it so poorly in service, not even address issues, return it in unpadded cardboard cover, unlabeled as fragile, not insure it, have it get hurt bad enough to kill the screen and then want to “fix” it. No… B-A-D call Asus.

If they gave a rats a** enough to pay a few bucks more to protect it, they wouldn’t have cranky irate people like me to deal with. They’d save a heck of a lot of call centre time. (Some of the phone calls have been 2 hours!). They might even have a hope in H of achieving all that great stuff they talk about when you are on hold = about how they are leaders in technology and that they have the best warranty service in north america. Balderdash!

HP lost some admiration. Were good with warranty on netbook at 5 months (problem from beginning but not able to diagnose). Took to store, came back 1 week. NO support for anything past warranty. In the almost 3 months I was never able to get the 4 yr. printer to install properly. Other people have issues. Would be nice if HP say, “Do this…” and have it work. Also don’t know why in the end I wasn’t able to uninstall any of its software.

Zoning out… bw

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    --------
    My sentiments exactly, Kiwi. I was dreaming of it lasting like forever. Just gotta say I luved it. I used to be world’s worst typer. Zeus made me want to type… oo la la. I deserve a new one! Dang thing had lots of goofies, graphic card bad, etc. It yanks my chain that Asus would treat it so poorly in service, not even address issues, return it in unpadded cardboard cover, unlabeled as fragile, not insure it, have it get hurt bad enough to kill the screen and then want to “fix” it. No… B-A-D call Asus.

If they gave a rats a** enough to pay a few bucks more to protect it, they wouldn’t have cranky irate people like me to deal with. They’d save a heck of a lot of call centre time. (Some of the phone calls have been 2 hours!). They might even have a hope in H of achieving all that great stuff they talk about when you are on hold = about how they are leaders in technology and that they have the best warranty service in north america. Balderdash!

HP lost some admiration. Were good with warranty on netbook at 5 months (problem from beginning but not able to diagnose). Took to store, came back 1 week. NO support for anything past warranty. In the almost 3 months I was never able to get the 4 yr. printer to install properly. Other people have issues. Would be nice if HP say, “Do this…” and have it work. Also don’t know why in the end I wasn’t able to uninstall any of its software.

Zoning out… bw
    It also has a lot to do with the tech (or company!) who handled your RMA.

ASUS's themselves often do a superb job handling RMAs and dealing with consumers.

Unfortunately in order to compete in today's market ASUS has to outsource some of it's services (call center, some RMA repairs)

It's really a bummer that you ended up with such a bad experience.

I have no doubt that Scott will get you taken care of and you'll be happy with the product you've purchased

and to chime in...

ASUS really is one of the better companies to deal with directly compared to the OTHER OEMs

Being in the computer retail and repair business, I have horror stories that would make you NEVER want to deal with some of these other companies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast