cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error code 55 on boot

3lgringo
Level 7
Hi there I've been having a issue with my new Maximus V Formula.

Each time I try the auto overclocking (either in bios or in windows) The system does not boot and I get error 55. Forcing me to clear Cmos...

I try auto overclocking because my CPU multiplier is stuck at a maximum of 35 minumum of 16 and wont budge.
Turned turbo off etc... nothing seems to work.

Considering RMA at this point...

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Specs:
Maximus V formula
8Gb TridentX
690 GTX
Do or do not, there is no try.
21 REPLIES 21

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please make sure that your memory is correctly seated, and that your CPU is not unevenly tightened.

Once you are sure about both of those points, then I would suggest that you try to post with 1 stick of ram in the furtherest slot from the CPU.

What BIOS are you on, and if you have recently flashed your BIOS could you please tell me how you did that flash.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

3lgringo
Level 7
Will check Cpu in a second.
I've tried moving ram around and using just one stick at a time still get the same issues.
I've updated my bios twice now and come to think about it (can't be sure) but I think this issue started when I updated to 1308.
Using 1309 now and both times I updated I did so using the bios option via flash drive.

EDIT: Took off waterblock reinstalled CPU evenly tight now (not too tight :P), 1 ram stick in furthest slot, tried auto tune 4.2 got error 55 again....

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ok - if you look on the white sticker that is near your SATA ports and the 24 pin PSU connector. The last 4 digits are your shipping BIOS. Might be a good idea to a) flash back to that BIOS, or b) after a Clear CMOS trying different DDR3 ram if you have any available.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

3lgringo
Level 7
I'll try the flashback I don't have any extra ddr3 here.

3lgringo
Level 7
Got the bios (0502)
But when I try load it from pen in bios it says file outdated

3lgringo
Level 7

Get this when I try updating from windows too...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes it has changed to the newer Win8 BIOS and they have a .cap if I recall.

OK well do a clear CMOS again.

Use one stick of ram in the furtherest slot.

Please set your ram frequency and voltages, then navigate to the ram tuning section and manually set the timings of your ram.

Navigate down further and,

Disable the MRC Fast Boot

Set the Dram voltage manually.

F10 and enter.

3lgringo
Level 7
Ok tried it with 1 stick at a time and then I even changed sticks.

Voltage default for ram was on 1.4 while mine should be at 1.65v
So I changed the voltage and timmings manually and disabled MRC fast boot.
Saved and rebooted and got error 55.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Did you set the frequency of the RAM? And the sub timings?