cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a hard time returning G75VW to full factory conditions -- please help!

Absolutsky
Level 7
I'm sorry for the long read!!

Hello, everybody! I'm the owner of a new G75VW... And I messed up.
My laptop was picked on the 19th, and I couldn't figure out how to divide things between the storage areas. You see, I got the 256 GB SSD; 750 GB HDD combo, and when I open the computer tab, I see C:, and 3 others. I wanted to make it into only two (so C: and D:, for example), and I figured switching from AHCI to RAID 0 would do the deed.

I tried to set up RAID 0 by following the e-manual. I hit F2 upon POST, changed to RAID, restarted, then hit Ctrl+I. I changed the type to 0 and named the drives. I restarted and it wouldn't work. So, I used the Asus recovery DVDs that I had written when I got the laptop, and restored to factory (I picked the first choice: write OS into first partition only). Problem is, the memory of the hard drives was greatly reduced. i.e., the combined C: and 😧 was less in sum than when I had four separate ones. I purchased the 256 GB SSD; 750 GB HDD, and when in RAID 0, it was less than that.

I tried to change the SATA config to AHCI instead of RAID, and had to recover again since it wouldn't work. After using all 4 DVDs, it didn't resume the operation where it re installs everything; instead, it gave a black screen that asks for boot up CDs. I clicked F2 at POST, and reset everything to default, and now trying to recover again. It didn't work. I tried going back to AHCI, made all the drives to non-RAID, and it said I need to shut off all but one to make recovery work. I don't know how to do that.

Would I be able to get help in returning everything to the usual? I had 4 'hard drives': C had around 110 GB with most of it used by the OS, another had 117 GB (mostly empty), and two had 356 GB, which were fully empty.
I just got the computer, and I've never dealt with multiple areas to store programs. I was just trying to make it simpler.
All I have since purchase: 4 ASUS recovery DVDs, and the utility/drivers CD that came with the computer.

Should I just do RAID 0 again, and live with it? How would I return it to normal number of drives in the computer tab?
I know it was stupid of me; I still can't believe I went ahead and tried to change it. I would be greatly appreciative of any help given. I just want to actually take my laptop to university, and play the occasional game here and there when I have the time.

Thank you all in advance, and, again, any input would be appreciated.
-E.S.
P.S. I've been following the sticky thread that tells me how to recover; it doesn't work when coming back from RAID to AHCI. EDIT: However, it was very helpful when I was doing the recovery the first time!

EDIT 2: I returned it to RAID 0, managed to get it working, but there's only two "hard disk drives": one, OS (C:), has only 165 GB; the other, DATA (D:), has 286. That doesn't make sense to me...

EDIT 3: Here's what the problem is, to its basics:

EDIT 4: when looking at the performance index, the primary hard disk rating drops down to 5.9, coming from 7.8 (IIRC). That means that the SSD is not where the OS has been installed.
5 REPLIES 5

Apexing
Level 9
Sad to say this, but I think the most viable option for you would be to get your hands of a windows 7 home premium 64bit with the language you use, and simply do a freash install onto your SSD (you have to go back to achi mode in bios) and while you are about to do this, format/deletethe partiotions for the big 750gb drive trough the windows installer.
The windows 7 key on the buttom of your laptop works fine with the windows CD (mine did not come with a CD so had to download the disc but that is very legit since you basicly aquire what you legally own)
OH and FYI your windows may still be installed on the SSD currently, even tho the raiting is showing 5.9 insted of 7,8, sometimes windows messes it up and for somereason calculate the other HDD as primery, dont worry about that.

(the missing disk space you are talking about, see if you can see it if you go into controle panel, administation, computer administration and there under storage is diskmanegement select that, it should show all possible drives + partitions, some could have been set up as recovery partitions and that wont show with a drive letter)

Apexing wrote:
Sad to say this, but I think the most viable option for you would be to get your hands of a windows 7 home premium 64bit with the language you use, and simply do a freash install onto your SSD (you have to go back to achi mode in bios) and while you are about to do this, format/deletethe partiotions for the big 750gb drive trough the windows installer.
The windows 7 key on the buttom of your laptop works fine with the windows CD (mine did not come with a CD so had to download the disc but that is very legit since you basicly aquire what you legally own)
OH and FYI your windows may still be installed on the SSD currently, even tho the raiting is showing 5.9 insted of 7,8, sometimes windows messes it up and for somereason calculate the other HDD as primery, dont worry about that.

(the missing disk space you are talking about, see if you can see it if you go into controle panel, administation, computer administration and there under storage is diskmanegement select that, it should show all possible drives + partitions, some could have been set up as recovery partitions and that wont show with a drive letter)

Thank you for replying!
This is what I did:
I went to BIOS, put it in RAID, hit Ctrl+I, and clicked "reset disks to non-RAID". Then, I went back, changed the SATA to AHCI, and did a recovery. This allowed the OS to go only the SSD, and I chose the third option when installing the OS, which gave two partitions. PERFECT!

What happened next? BIOS was able to detect the HDD, but win 7 kept thinking the RAID setup is there; it was present in device manager and admin tools section. I fully uninstalled the driver for SATA in device manager, restarted a couple of times, and BAM! the old HDD is back on track. I split it to two partitions, and now it is back to the same way. I think.

Few last questions, and I hope anybody would reply:
Is there anything that the recovery DVDs won't return to normal? For example: instant on tech, Intel Turbo boost
Would there be any optimization straight from the factory that the ASUS recovery disks won't cover?
Can I be directed to a thread/site that would cover everything I would need to do to make it the best?

I'm almost done bothering you all!

rewben
Level 13
the recovery DVDs restore everything to factory state. it should include all default settings, and bloatwares.

as for optimizations, most of us start with a fresh install of windows with only necessary drivers; in your case, you can read First things to do after buying G55/G75 based notebooks; some basic ssd optimization tricks that can be found on the internet might help.

Cecil_2099
Level 11
After you reverted back to a non-raid configuration, did you try pulling out the HDD and doing the restore to just the SSD, then putting the HDD back in?
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

Cecil_2099 wrote:
After you reverted back to a non-raid configuration, did you try pulling out the HDD and doing the restore to just the SSD, then putting the HDD back in?

That's what I ended up doing!

Since it was my first time entering the BIOS, I freaked out!

Thank you for the help, ya'll!