cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Gene - Top flow CPU Cooler - Which one?

mr_manic
Level 7
Hi folks,

i use the configuration described down in my signature and i try to find out which ist the best CPU cooler. I tried the Scythe Big Shurikan Rev2, but the temperature goes always above 80 degrees (celsius). The problem with the cooler is, that it is very difficult (less space to screw) to mount it, so that i don't know if the pressure ist high enough. But i think it was strong enough.

So i tried to use a Noctua NH-L12, but this one ist to high (without the fan), because the power supply in the LAN Box ist mountet above it.

So i still have to use a top-flow cooler or a water cooling system to get the temp down, but i don't know which one.

Has anyone an idea or a example configuration with good temps in such a small case?

Thanx,
Mr. Manic
Plays on:
THERMALTAKE LANBOX VF1000BWS
ASUS Rampage Gene IV mit onboard SupremeFX III Sound
Intel Core i7 3820, 10 MB L3 Cache, Sockel 2011
4x 4 GB G.Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL(XMP)
1x 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD
1x Palit GeForce GTX 670 Jetstream, 2048 MB
Windows 7 Home 64bit
Qpad TAS-MK-85 ProGaming Tastatur + Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard + Logitech G9 Lasermouse + Saitek Cyborg Evo
24" Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW 1920x1200 Speedlink Medusa 5.1 ProGamer Headset
14 REPLIES 14

HiVizMan
Level 40
Get yourself a closed loop system. Like the H100 or even the Intel WC system it is very good.

Just make sure that your case has air flow over the VRM areas around the CPU. If they get to warm due to no air flow they will limit your systems performance.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Get yourself a closed loop system. Like the H100 or even the Intel WC system it is very good.

Just make sure that your case has air flow over the VRM areas around the CPU. If they get to warm due to no air flow they will limit your systems performance.

Thanx for your fast answer. Well, i can let other fans blow above the other components, so i think this will work.
But i have no experiences with watercooling. Where do i have to fit the radiator? Inside or outside the case?
The second problem is that i have no space to fix a 120mm radiator or fan. Except i have to modify the side walls.
Plays on:
Windows 7 Home 64bit
Qpad TAS-MK-85 ProGaming Tastatur + Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard + Logitech G9 Lasermouse + Saitek Cyborg Evo

HiVizMan
Level 40
I think folks like kkn and others will jump in here and comment as they are more WC and case modding than I am.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Retired
Not applicable
My opinion..

Build a custom water-loop, with a very silent pump, around 0,3-0,5 amp

In that way, you can design the cooling system, after your own need, and space.. thin tubing, a variety of different radiators..

Its really simple.. Use the G1/4 thread, and compression fittings all over..

1. Performance is top
2. Its fun to build
3. its looking great
4 its reliable
5. very silent

To get a closed-loop Hydro system, ok.. But for not a lot of more cash, you get one, that perform way better, and actually incorporate quality components..

It can get expensive, thats up to you..

kkn
Level 14
theres like close to no space to mount watercooling in that little case.
its not designed for that.
you could try and see if there is space for a H80 ( 120mm fan and some extra )
H80 Radiator dimensions: 120mm x 152mm x 38mm
i THINK the H70 have around the same spec ( dimentions )
its the only sugestion i can come up whit now.
this is closed loops so no maintenance.

Retired
Not applicable
hey K..

You can fit a dual loop in there..

;o)

kkn
Level 14
well i googled the case and its REAL small :s

Retired
Not applicable
Me 2.......... ;o)

...thanx for the new ideas guys...i will check it.

Yes the case is very small, but i loved it. Specially for carrying. Minimum once a month i go to a LAN-Party and it was always perfect for it until i bought the i7. Before i used a Q6700 on a MSI Q965MDO with a Silverstone cooler and had never temp problems. I was surprised that the 3820 is getting so hot.

Maybe i have to change the case, but i don't found something like that (specially the carrying handle) and (big)tower are ugly.

Last month i found the "FRAGBOX" in the net, but they are out of stock at the moment. They sell exactly my configuration in a nice box. Hope they will set up an new version soon. But i think they don't sell barebones.
See: http://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/fragbox
Plays on:
Windows 7 Home 64bit