cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking Results - Acceptable?

squatchy
Level 7
Hello everyone,

So I'm pretty new to overclocking - but after doing some extensive research and such, I think I'm somewhat knowledgeable and won't do anything too stupid.

Anyway, I've managed to get the following:

4.5GHz overclock with VCore set to 1.225V (manual) and LLC set to ultra high (75%). This was tested to be stable with LinX and my peak temperatures were 86ºC for the hottest core.

I'm just wondering if this is an acceptable result? Do you think having it at this setting for 24/7 usage will be reasonable and won't damage my CPU over time? I know the temperatures are slightly high for everyday use, but I highly doubt I will ever get that high with any normal workload. Even AIDA64 Extreme doesn't drive temps as high as LinX.

My system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Heatsink
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Formula
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 (9-9-9-24 CR2) @ 1.5V
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC
Power Supply: Corsair Professional HX850

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
29 REPLIES 29

Krindor
Level 11
During normal day work the cpu will never be pushed so hard so that overclock is succesful. If you're still uncertain run prime95 in blend there is probably no other program out there that pushes the processor to it's limit like pime 95. If the temps are still 86C then for daily use there shouldn't be any problems.
What are your temps in idle?
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Krindor wrote:
During normal day work the cpu will never be pushed so hard so that overclock is succesful. If you're still uncertain run prime95 in blend there is probably no other program out there that pushes the processor to it's limit like pime 95. If the temps are still 86C then for daily use there shouldn't be any problems.
What are your temps in idle?

Oh? Okay, I'll give it a shot. I've heard that LinX is more exhaustive, but I guess the only way to tell is to try both! I idle around 45-48ºC idle at a fixed voltage. I'm going to try using offset mode and get a stable overclock that way so that my cores can throttle down to 1.6GHz (and a lower voltage) when they aren't in use.

Thanks for your help!

Zka17
Level 16
Which temps are you referring to and what application are you using to assess them?

Your most important temps are the temps of the individual cores... use an application which is able to show them... - then you could be on the safe side for 24/7 usage if your core temps are staying below 75C-80C during LinX...

The Noctua NH-D14 is a very potent cooler... - if you can supply enough airflow through it...

Zka17 wrote:
Which temps are you referring to and what application are you using to assess them?

Your most important temps are the temps of the individual cores... use an application which is able to show them... - then you could be on the safe side for 24/7 usage if your core temps are staying below 75C-80C during LinX...

The Noctua NH-D14 is a very potent cooler... - if you can supply enough airflow through it...

I am referring to the peak core temperatures (I thought I mentioned it in my original post). I have validated this with both CPUID HWMonitor and AIDA64 Extreme's temperature monitor (individually, of course).

And yeah, the NH-D14 is working great. My idle temps are already 10-15ºC lower, and I think it's pretty impressive that I'm stable at this voltage given I'm at 4.5GHz.

When I'm up to it, I'll probably de-lid the CPU - I've heard this gives some phenomenal results.

squatchy wrote:

And yeah, the NH-D14 is working great. My idle temps are already 10-15ºC lower, and I think it's pretty impressive that I'm stable at this voltage given I'm at 4.5GHz.

I'm quite jealous of you at the moment, the voltage is really nice, though the cpu seems to be a hot one. My 3770k is wc cooled and for a stable OC at 4.5 ghz I have to have 1.34v.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w

Krindor wrote:
I'm quite jealous of you at the moment, the voltage is really nice, though the cpu seems to be a hot one. My 3770k is wc cooled and for a stable OC at 4.5 ghz I have to have 1.34v.

Yikes! What are your peak load temperatures for the hottest core? Something doesn't seem right with your chip - maybe it's one of the chips that just needs a higher voltage?

Yeah, I was a little surprised at how easily I achieved it. I had to tinker with the LLC for a little bit - so actual load voltage is around 1.233V. To be honest, I think this is the best that can be done with air-cooling if you don't want any degradation in performance over time.

I could probably push my overclock to 4.8 or even 5.0 GHz, but then I'm guessing even normal workload temperatures would start hitting 85ºC+ and that's not something I'm comfortable with.

Right now, I probably don't have the best air flow as my front intake is jammed with 4 HDDs running at 7200RPM. I think I'll add some side-fans and increase my intake, or maybe switch my top exhaust fan to an intake instead. (I have a Corsair 600T White case)

Zka17
Level 16
Well, having 45-48C on the cores during idle at 4.5GHz, 1.225V, doesn't seems too good... it depends on the ambient temps, but at such low voltage, you should be at least in the mid 30s... again, depends on the ambient temps (I'm supposing around 24-26C)...

Regarding the de-lid of the CPU... well, there are some good experiences about that... and bad too... - I'm about to doing it, changing the internal TIM if you meant that... One thing is sure, we will loose the warranty... 🙂

Zka17 wrote:
Well, having 45-48C on the cores during idle at 4.5GHz, 1.225V, doesn't seems too good... it depends on the ambient temps, but at such low voltage, you should be at least in the mid 30s... again, depends on the ambient temps (I'm supposing around 24-26C)...

Regarding the de-lid of the CPU... well, there are some good experiences about that... and bad too... - I'm about to doing it, changing the internal TIM if you meant that... One thing is sure, we will loose the warranty... 🙂

I think it's pretty reasonable. I haven't gotten better than 38ºC for my peak temperature on the hottest core (idling) even at stock settings. So a 10ºC increase when my voltage is 0.225V higher and I'm running at 4.5GHz is pretty reasonable, in my opinion. My ambient temperature is about 22ºC. I suppose it's a little higher than what it could be because I have 4 HDDs in my system in addition to an SSD. All of them are 7200RPM drives too. If I removed them, I'd assume my temperatures would drop maybe 1-2ºC.

What is your peak core temperature under idle at 4.5GHz (what voltage are you running it at)? What is your ambient and cooling setup, also?

And with regards to the de-lidding, yes, it is a risky gamble. I'll probably wait, as my system is new and I don't want to unnecessarily risk it when there's no need to.

And no, the TIM is not the issue. It's the glue/adhesive they use to attach the heat plate to the die. It adds a lot of space inbetween the die and the heat plate and so, a lot of TIM has to be used to fill this gap. Removing the glue significantly decreases this distance, and so this is what yields the better temperatures (not the TIM itself).

Krindor
Level 11
Peak loads are at a nice cool 65C though after 1 hour of Prime 95 it's 80C T_T But this is due to it being a watercooling build and I still need an adapter to install my last fan on my 3x120 rad. So soon I will be able to OC to 5 ghz with god knows how high voltage.....
But your cpu seems to one hot guy.... I recommend water cooling for your build 😄 Though it might be hard to fit in that case...