Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

For the GPU, I was thinking of going with the Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 GC 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 instead which is factory overclocked. It's a little more expensive (like $100) but I would like to stay somewhat ahead of the curve since game developers seem to ramp up the graphics threshold every time they release a new game.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

if you are a gamer, SLI/CF is the single most cost effective way to improve your in-game experience. This should be one of your primary concerns when building a system (along with monitor setup)
    How many cards will you put into the system initially?
    *will you replace these cards over time or add new cards as they decrease in price?
    *will your motherboard/cpu support your desired end state (3-way and 4-way SLI are not possible on the maximus V formula for example)
    *do you have enough power to support your cpu and SLI'd cards?
    *do you intend to overclock your cpu or graphics?
    *do you want a future proof system that can handle the next generation of games without needing to upgrade?
    *how much of your machine do you expect to 'migrate' into your next build?

Answering these questions first will guide the rest of your build decisions as far as platform (cpu, motherboard, ram, and cooling)
    Last edited by Xaanix; 10-24-2012 at 07:43 PM.

I'm thinking that I should go with the Galaxy GeForce GTX 680 GC 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 just to stay somewhat ahead of the graphics curve. Will the i5 3570 be taxed too hard by this GPU?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

finally my take on the entire thing:
    For a non-sli'd rig, $3,000 is way too much money to spend. I think your target should be closer to $2,000. For non-sli and non-overclocked systems, you probably could get away alot cheaper than even that.

for 3 grand, i'd be shooting for something like this:
    https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/M...px?ID=28703508

perhaps go alittle over (for around 3100$ you can have 3 way sli gtx 680s on that build), but that might be better as a long term goal (you'll want to run ultra wide resolutions with 3 monitors most likely before going to 3 way SLI)
    (you'll need to upgrade the psu though)
    Last edited by Xaanix; 10-24-2012 at 08:07 PM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array

The 3570k won't have any problems.
    I would say go EVGA gtx 4gb 680 instead of Galaxy.
    I would go for a bigger chassi with that budget. Cooler master Haf x or NZXT Swtich 810 or Phantom 820 depending on how you like the look of your chassi.
    For PSU I would recommend a corsair psu either the AX850 or if you're going sli a 1200
    Last edited by Krindor; 10-24-2012 at 08:07 PM.
    | Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
    | Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
    | SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
    | Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Why do you recommend the EVGA over the Galaxy? Also, the component list as I posted it is about $2300 without the sound card.

I would say it's cause EVGA have better support and warranty. Unless you're going to OC the GPU there isn't much of a difference between the cards and I would say that EVGA is a better pick. Also Galaxy's pcbs are customized so if you're ever going into water cooling the gpu you're going to have a bad time. I would say that of the top manufacturers EVGA is the most popular followed by MSI and Asus. Also this is somewhat of a personal preference.
    | Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
    | Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w

For the motherboard, I'm looking at the ASUS Maximus V FORMULA or the ASUS Maximus V EXTREME not sure which way to go. I'm not a super extreme gamer, so I seriously doub't that I will ever go beyond dual SLI if I ever even go that far since 2 GTX 680's will run me over $1000. Also, as for the OS, I really don't like what I see in Windows 8. I have no desire for my PC to interface like a tablet not sure why Microsoft is going this way but I'm not interested in upgrading my monitor to a touchscreen I like the Windows 7 interface.

Go for the formula. Extreme is if you're going triple or quad sli and the formula is made for gamers while extreme is made for overclockers. I run Win 8 and I'm actually preferring it over win 7 it's much faster as well as everything except the start menu is there. The desktop is still there so no worries there. Also rather than paying 200$ for win 7 Windows will sell win 8 for 50$. For gaming win 8 doesn't have that much of a difference. And it's faster to navigate in it

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4
    Graphics Card #1GTX980
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

The Formula line are the most gamer specific. The Extreme has extra features for overclockers and the Maximus is the more value minded choice of the bunch.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast