cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FX-8350 + CVFZ, or Change of Plans

4Strings
Level 10
Hi,
I've been planning a new rig for some time, and I was planning on the AMD FX-8350 (when it came out) on a Crosshair V Formula-Z... Now the 8350 came out this week and the reviews don't seem so great... 😞
So I was wondering if anyone has any advise for me as to wether I should stick to my FX-8350 build-plan, or do I have to break my vow of fidelity to AMD 😛 and switch to an Intel-based build?
If I do have to switch over to Intel, what CPU and motherboard should I switch to?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks-in-advance,
4Strings
37 REPLIES 37

kkn
Level 14
how about this:
maximus 5 formula ( its watercooled ready if your gona go for that in the future )
ram: G-skill's or corsair platinum ( from 1600MHZ and up depending on you ) 16 gig ( one kit )
prosessor: 3570K or 3770K
1 ssd for OS and mabye one for game ( minimum 120 gig ones ) and keep the HDD for storage ( if its sata )
i recoment a 850W non sli or 1000W for sli ( then you have room when/if your gona expand laters )
and network card is build in the mobo, and so is the soundcard so no need of that.

the psu dont pull more power then the system pulls, so you do not strain the psu if you go for a large one.
the smaler it is the more strain you put on it. ( closer to the limit of the powerdraw of the system )

look over this and see what you think of it, look around on the net and find prices and see what you can afford and/or switch out.

You can call me an "AMD fan-boy", I don't care... All the computers Ive ever had have been AMDs... Even my dad's first HP desktop was AMD-based (don't ask me what was the chip, I don't know, I was 5 🙂 )...
But if there are any reasons I can use to convince myself that I'd be better off building a Piledriver-based system, I'll take 'em! 😛
If only the power-draw wasn't so awfuller... 😞

kkn wrote:
how about this:
maximus 5 formula ( its watercooled ready if your gona go for that in the future )

Not a huge fan of watercooling... Planning on building my rig in a SilverStone Fortress FT02... I know it's a bit old, but I really like the vertical airflow.

BTW, what's the benefit of using RAM that's clocked higher, anyway? More RAM, I get (obviously)... But what's the actual benefit of using 2400 MHz as opposed to, say, 1600 MHz or 1866 MHz?

go with whatever that suites you my friend 😉

About the rams here are some links. Hope that these help.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul10/articles/qa0710_3.htm

http://www.wisegeek.com/does-adding-ram-improve-computer-speed.htm

No matter what speed you choose you will see VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY MINIMAL DIFFERENCE IN THE REAL WORLD, you could only notice the difference in benchmarking. But of course higher rams are much better if you have the budget for them.
Intel Core i7-3770K| Asus Maximus V Formula | Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866 CL9-9-9-27 Red Green| Western Digital Black 1tb | Corsair AX860i | NZXT Phantom Red|

4Strings wrote:
Not a huge fan of watercooling... Planning on building my rig in a SilverStone Fortress FT02... I know it's a bit old, but I really like the vertical airflow.

like i did type, it is ready for water, but it cools as good on air.
it is either air or water, so this board is just not for those who want to do watercooling 🙂
it is only an option for those who want 🙂

4Strings wrote:
You can call me an "AMD fan-boy", I don't care... All the computers Ive ever had have been AMDs... Even my dad's first HP desktop was AMD-based (don't ask me what was the chip, I don't know, I was 5 🙂 )...
But if there are any reasons I can use to convince myself that I'd be better off building a Piledriver-based system, I'll take 'em! 😛
If only the power-draw wasn't so awfuller... 😞

BTW, what's the benefit of using RAM that's clocked higher, anyway? More RAM, I get (obviously)... But what's the actual benefit of using 2400 MHz as opposed to, say, 1600 MHz or 1866 MHz?

Real world, there is no noticable difference between 1600 and anything higher, you'd only notice this in OC'ing pretty much and benching.

Chino
Level 15
4Strings wrote:
Hi,
I've been planning a new rig for some time, and I was planning on the AMD FX-8350 (when it came out) on a Crosshair V Formula-Z... Now the 8350 came out this week and the reviews don't seem so great... 😞
So I was wondering if anyone has any advise for me as to wether I should stick to my FX-8350 build-plan, or do I have to break my vow of fidelity to AMD 😛 and switch to an Intel-based build?
If I do have to switch over to Intel, what CPU and motherboard should I switch to?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks-in-advance,
4Strings

It all depends on your budget. 😛

wolverine7074
Level 9
I would stick with AMD even know the "So called reviews" dont seem to good for the cost and performance I dont think you can go wrong.
Show me one program on the market today, game or otherwise that will not run on a AMD system that is well equiped and I will think otherwise. nothing aganst Intel but I for one dont have the cash flow to build a top bench pc that runs benchmarks that put the pc to levels of performance that even a hard core gamer will not even need just to play battle field 3 or what ever game you want to play

just my 2 cent
Mobo: Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD FX-8120 8 Core 3.1 GHz
RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 DDR3
VGA: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti X2
Optical: Asus DVD Burner Combo Drive X2
SSD: Corsair Force SATA III 120GB
HDD: Seagate SATA III 1TB Storage
Cooling: Corsair H100 Hydro CPU Cooler
Case: CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced
PSU: Silencer Mk II 750 W

Zka17
Level 16
Depending on the planned usage of the pc, I may stick to the AMD system too... as I understood, the bad reviews are based mainly on the not too big difference between the 8350 and the 8150... - but if you have a much weaker CPU than the FX-8150, or nothing at all, then I believe that the FX-8350 will rock!

As wolverine said, for just gaming, the AMD system will be fine - max get some HD7970(s) as graphics cards and nothing will stay in your way whichever game you choose! If you wanna chase high scores in benchmarks, then better go Intel way... - although, you can bench with the AMD too...

So, basically it's about your budget... 🙂

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
I wouldn't knock AMD's benching capabilities, in case you guys haven't seen the main RoG Page...a Korean OCer by the name of NAMEGT has recently just OC'ed an 8350 on the CHVF-Z - using all 8 cores and smashed through the 8GHZ barrier...and he used LN2 of course lol