cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help To Install Upgrade to WiFi Card!

tkolarik
Level 9
I'm really tired of this POS wifi in my BestBuy model G75. I want to seriously consider upgrading it myself. I replaced the motherboard in my Gateway laptop so I have the skill. I just need to know how. I know the wifi card is on the top of the motherboard so I need to know how to get it opened. I know I will void my warranty. Anyone know where I can get a guide or manual? I just don't want to run into any surprises!
8 REPLIES 8

bignazpwns
Level 11
If you gotta ask then you don't have the skill.

Pretty simple much like every laptop. First you remove all the screws from the bottom. remove the dvd rom and get the 3 screws there. Pop off the back hinge cover and disconnect the speakers then remove the 2 screws holding the top down. Then pop the top off and dont lift to hight because there are 5 ribbon cables that need to be disconnected. After those are disconnected it just lifts up and off.

http://computerupgradeking.com/wiki/index.php?title=ASUS_G75VW_Disassembly_Manual

Uninstall old wifi card driver. Rip apart laptop. Install wifi card. Reassemble the laptop. Install new drivers.

varonecl
Level 7
You actually may want to download the new drivers first and uninstall the old ones.

madnj
Level 9
Also, having come from a G73JH with Intel 6250 wifi card, I can tell you that the Atheros in the G75 seems to work just as well.

I too have the BestBuy model, but I have no real complaints about stability with the Atheros - it never drops my connection, and my speedtests look like this:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2267199626.png

If you are having drops, it's likely interference and should be troubleshooted by manually trying different channels on the router until you find a stable one.

Oh, and I should probably indicate that I'm about 25 feet or so from my router and through a wall.

madnj wrote:
Also, having come from a G73JH with Intel 6250 wifi card, I can tell you that the Atheros in the G75 seems to work just as well.

I too have the BestBuy model, but I have no real complaints about stability with the Atheros - it never drops my connection, and my speedtests look like this:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2267199626.png

If you are having drops, it's likely interference and should be troubleshooted by manually trying different channels on the router until you find a stable one.

Oh, and I should probably indicate that I'm about 25 feet or so from my router and through a wall.

Yeah I get insane speeds on my G75VW-BBK5 too....
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

tkolarik
Level 9
OK, I have my new Intel 6325 ready to go in. One question to those that have gone before..... Which way to the ribbon cable locks clips need to be move to release those 5 ribbon cables. Close visual inspection my not be enough for me to knew, and i certainly don't want to bust one off. Or can the card holddown screws be removed without removing the ribbon cables if I had a short enough screwdriver?

Thanks!:-D

tkolarik wrote:
OK, I have my new Intel 6325 ready to go in. One question to those that have gone before..... Which way to the ribbon cable locks clips need to be move to release those 5 ribbon cables. Close visual inspection my not be enough for me to knew, and i certainly don't want to bust one off. Or can the card holddown screws be removed without removing the ribbon cables if I had a short enough screwdriver?

Thanks!:-D

You only need to unhook the first ribbon cable you encounter, the power button cable, if your screwdriver is small enough...
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

Pitcher1
Level 9
search from ROG or youtobe, i saw it before.