cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Windows 8, what are my options?

Taco991
Level 7
I am currently running the RTM of windows 8, and I was wondering if a licence key would allow this to function in the same way as a normal installation? If not, what can I do to make a clean install of windows 8 on my PC? I don't have windows 7 installed and i do not have a backup.
7 REPLIES 7

ggBanks
Level 10
Your options are, either buy Windows 8, or continue using RTM until the support for it expires. The RTM key will not work for a original windows installation!

Apexing
Level 9
well get back onto win 7, with the key on the buttom of your laptop.
then go and ge the upgradeassistant, and go from there

madnj
Level 9
Wait, RTM is "Release to Manufacturer" as in the final release build of Windows 8. If you have RTM installed and an installed RTM key, there's no expiration that I'm aware of. Sure, the Developer Preview, Consumer Preview, and Release Preview builds have an expiration date, but the entire point of RTM is that the code is final and the licensing is for the final release.

I've been running RTM with a MAK (mass activation key) through my company's Microsoft partnership since the release date (August 15), and it IS the final build and same version people will be buying in stores now.

If you are already running RTM, there should be absolutely no need to reinstall or do anything to have a working system forever provided you have a valid license key for Windows 8 RTM Final.

*EDIT*
I just confirmed the downloadable version of Windows 8 from the MSDN subscirber downloads section is dated 8/15, so there is absolutely NO difference between the retail code and RTM code. I see absolutely no reason that a retail key would not work on an RTM copy or vice versa provided the Windows version is the same (IE enterprise vs professional vs home or whatever flavors they have now).

I found this out the hard way. I did an update today to Windows 8. Everything was fine aside from FN+F9 wasn't turning off the trackpad. I ran windows 8 for several hours and did a few reboots just to make sure it was stable. I figured , hey while I'm upgrading and everything is working fine maybe I should check and see if the new BIOS is out yet. I updated to 214 and Windows 8 has been unable to boot since. It keeps saying it ran into a 'problem' I'm currently stuck at the 'Attempting Repairs' screen. That said I'm going to try and rollback my driver to 209 now and see if that fixes it. I will advise.

Well I can't rollback the bios from the EZFLASH utility within the BIOS. Apparently you can only use a newer version and not an older one, very dumb option I think. The specific error it gave me was "this build is too old" or something along those lines. Hmm now to find out if Asus has a linux bootable utility of some sort.

The windows error is "System Service Exception".

Sounds like a graphics driver issue, if only I can get safemode to work.

F9 won't enter recovery mode either 8(

Well it seems like Windows 8 Boot manager screwed with the recovery mode. I ended up just doing an entire wipe of the PC and installing Windows 7 from a USB. Not sure if I'm willing to take a chance on Windows 8 again, not for awhile.