cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping SSD-optimized configurations for Windows 7...questions before I upgrade to 8

finalhour
Level 11
Hey guys!

So Right now I've got my G75VW set up to boot from my SSD, but, all of my docs, desktop, music, photos, etc pull from my 1TB HDD that came with this beast. I've even got temp files on the other drive. This all cuts down on the amount of writes that I have to my SSD (Corsair Force 3 GT)

My question is this:
Would it just be a smoother transition if I do a complete clean install of windows 8 Professional, or, since the upgrade assistant seems to indicate that my settings and files and whatnot transfer from Win 7 home premium without wiping my stuff (if I upgrade), should I just do that instead?

The only significant issues that it says it will encounter are:

-Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Driver isn't compatible (probably a pretty big issue...?)
-Atheros Blue Tooth not compatible

(I know these are super specific questions but I gotta know :-P)
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz
11 REPLIES 11

xeromist
Well, I know this isn't what you're asking but why are you planning to upgrade so soon? Why not wait until the major issues are found and resolved and a complete driver set is available? Let other people be the guinea pigs.

Also, we don't support piracy questions here so please do not ask. You will need to get your answer somewhere else and I would advise you to learn GIMP instead.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Well, I know this isn't what you're asking but why are you planning to upgrade so soon? Why not wait until the major issues are found and resolved and a complete driver set is available? Let other people be the guinea pigs.

Also, we don't support piracy questions here so please do not ask. You will need to get your answer somewhere else and I would advise you to learn GIMP instead.

Fair enough, my bad for asking that last part, and you're right about waiting, I guess I'm just itching to upgrade to it, though it is probably better to be more patient and wait for more support from ASUS on the driver end and hear from more G75 users here too
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

xeromist
But since I really didn't address your question I'll add that you should be able to get support for most of your hardware either via the base install drivers in Win8 or direct from the component manufacturers' websites. Several people have upgraded without major incident this way.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Forgottenbhs
Level 7
finalhour wrote:
Hey guys!

So Right now I've got my G75VW set up to boot from my SSD, but, all of my docs, desktop, music, photos, etc pull from my 1TB HDD that came with this beast. I've even got temp files on the other drive. This all cuts down on the amount of writes that I have to my SSD (Corsair Force 3 GT)

My question is this:
Would it just be a smoother transition if I do a complete clean install of windows 8 Professional, or, since the upgrade assistant seems to indicate that my settings and files and whatnot transfer from Win 7 home premium without wiping my stuff (if I upgrade), should I just do that instead?

The only significant issues that it says it will encounter are:

-Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Driver isn't compatible (probably a pretty big issue...?)
-Atheros Blue Tooth not compatible

(I know these are super specific questions but I gotta know :-P)

1) Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Driver - I believe this is built in with Win8. If you look in Device Manager once it's installed you will see that it is already installed. (I did a clean install and verified)

2) Atheros Blue Tooth not compatible - Just run Windows Update.
Asus G55VW-RS71 - i7 3610QM, 8GB DDR3, GTX 660M 2GB, 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD

Forgottenbhs wrote:
1) Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Driver - I believe this is built in with Win8. If you look in Device Manager once it's installed you will see that it is already installed. (I did a clean install and verified)

2) Atheros Blue Tooth not compatible - Just run Windows Update.

Thanks! 🙂

john_from_ohio
Level 11
finalhour wrote:
Hey guys!

Make sure that you have a good backup ( maintenance ==> Backup and Restore ==> create system image onto an external drive before you even think about upgrading current system.

Personally I would seriously think about testing the upgrade onto a restored image on a separate drive ... personally ... and see how that goes before even committing to the lunacy of an early windows 8 upgrade.

I am however trying this upgrade on a different machine that I don't care that much about ... right now ... after creating a backup!

dstrakele
Level 14
So YOU did manage to "commit to the lunacy", huh?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Hi, I have a clean install of Windows 8 - no problems, only for this device ACPI\ATK4001 is not driver.
I have question: what mode you have set in BIOS: AHCI or RAID?. I have AHCI and my SSD drive is C: drive for system files.
Thanks.
Martin

martinsamus wrote:
Hi, I have a clean install of Windows 8 - no problems, only for this device ACPI\ATK4001 is not driver.
I have question: what mode you have set in BIOS: AHCI or RAID?. I have AHCI and my SSD drive is C: drive for system files.
Thanks.
Martin

One post is enough, replying in half a dozen threads isn't gonna get your question answered faster