cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Atheros Wifi card

varonecl
Level 7
This Atheros really does suck, its the low-point of my laptop. I experience constant dips in connectivity that effect gameplay for MMORPGs. I am using a Fiber connection 75/35 speeds.

I am thinking about upgrading the card to a Intel 6230 IEEE 802.11n Bluetooth 3.0 - Wifi/Bluetooth Combo Adapter.

Wanted to see if anyone has any suggestion for disassembly (videos/write-ups) of the G75VW, Installation tips, or perhaps a Wifithat may be a better option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

StereoROG
Level 7
Hi.

I have red one article about an upgrade to intel 6300 but the the person had difficulty making the system identify the card or something like that coz the intel one had tree antennas and the Atheros only has two etc.

You can easily find dis-assembly video on you tube and / or finding step by step guide on the web

u can start here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/667905-g75vw-5ghz-wireless-2.html

but of course u will avoid ur warranty

I suggest you try your best to find the balance between your router and wifi card before doing anything else.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Yeah, I know about the voided warranty. Unfortunately, I have been through the processes with my router. I know it isn't my router for sure. I did research on the Intel 6300 and I am aware of the incompatibility there. My girlfriend has the G55 and she is not having these issues. I have had them since I opened the box. They are just becoming more frequent past the point of annoyance. I have not been able to find any disassembly video as of yet. I will go at it without if necessary, but it is helpful to have points of reference if needed.

I have read some people updating the driver on the Atheros to 10.0.0.67 and finding success there. I may attempt that prior to if I can locate the driver and successfully install it.

i change out the old sucky atheros and swap a dual band intel 6235 + bluetooth 4.0 only 3 days ago. fairly easy. just be gentle with the ribbons and the wire and dont lose your screws.
http://computerupgradeking.com/wiki/index.php?title=ASUS_G75VW_Disassembly_Manual
i uninstall atheros driver prior to swapping it out.
had a bit of trouble with installing new intel drivers. just remember to get the intel drivers marked as " for IT Administrators'
is the situation so bad it warrants voiding your laptop?

Just this morning three at has happened at least twice every hour. I am not too concerned with voiding the warranty. I work in IT and while I deal with the software side of the house, I have plenty of individuals savvy in Hardware to help fix or adjust. Unfortunately, the advice from them has been to upgrade the wifi card as well.

cheek
Level 9
then go ahead. do choose a premier wifi card.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/wireless-product-selection-guide.html
some older models are not here. like the 6230 that yu set your eyes on.
if you go all out then go for slightly more expensive bigfoot killer. not sure about the compatibility though. i dont forsee a problem.
http://www.killergaming.com/solutions/Wireless

kuudou
Level 7
varonecl wrote:
This Atheros really does suck, its the low-point of my laptop. I experience constant dips in connectivity that effect gameplay for MMORPGs. I am using a Fiber connection 75/35 speeds.

I am thinking about upgrading the card to a Intel 6230 IEEE 802.11n Bluetooth 3.0 - Wifi/Bluetooth Combo Adapter.

Wanted to see if anyone has any suggestion for disassembly (videos/write-ups) of the G75VW, Installation tips, or perhaps a Wifithat may be a better option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think I had the same problem when I had a G73. Although one of the beta drivers fixed most of the issues.

Currently I'm actually not exactly sure what card my G75 has. Or how I can get the drivers for it. Time to dig around I guess.

*EDIT*

Yeah it's still Atheros. AR9485EB-EG it seems. Driver is from 2011 though. Their official support page does not have any drivers for the 9xxx series cards despite having product information on them. How weird.

tkolarik
Level 9
I know exactly how you feel! One 20mhz channel max of 130, but really get like 75-90. The 6200 series with bluetooth can only bond 2 - 40 mhz giving max of 300Mbits. I'm looking at the 6300 series with 3 bonded channels - 450 Mbits but no bluetooth. Let us know how it goes!

madnj
Level 9
I've not had issues with the Atheros wireless card, but I did have a G73JH previously with the Intel 6250 wifi/wimax combo card in it... I also use a wireless headset (Logitech G930) and I had major issues for a while with my wireless connection dropping out or my headset dropping out pretty often.

I'm not going to say this is related, but wireless interference definitely can be difficult to identify and correct. I ultimately ended up settling on channel 9 for my router and have not had any similar issues since hardcoding the channel (although I switched through several that weren't any better).

That said, replacing a wireless card in a laptop like this one is really a piece of cake outside of the actual teardown, so have at it if literally no amount of troubleshooting has helped.

bignazpwns
Level 11
I use a Killer N 1202. Overall its preforms better then my old 6250 and it has blue tooth 4.0 so that nice. Only downside its about $50 i payed $35 shipped for mine tho.