cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73 Keyboard Ribbon Fix / Replacement

DXHuff
Level 7
So long story short, one of the feet came off my G73 and the circle part of the pad went up into the laptop and got itself stuck in my GPU fan. So I went through and disassembled the system following the bio video. Everything seemed to go well, except now my keyboard ribbon doesn't seem to want to stay in the "slot". I'm worried that I damaged it when I was pulling off the board fighting against the tape. I have tried placing the ribbon above and below the guard just to see if it makes a difference, which it does not, there seems to be no "bite" when putting it in the slot. The LED works fine and doesn't just slide out on it's own.

If this sounds like it can be saved by me doing something I'm not please let me know.

If it sounds like the ribbon is damage, can anyone point me in the direction of a keyboard replacement? A few of the links I've found all reference ebay listings from a few years ago which I can find anymore. Or is it more than likely the "holder" rather than the ribbon that got damaged and I'm now SOL with a new desktop?

I appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

cl-scott
Level 12
You didn't give a specific model, and there were a couple G73 variants, but you can get keyboard replacements off the Asus eStore: http://us.estore.asus.com

it was the G73-JW

If it is the white clip the ribbon goes into and not the ribbon itself is there a fix for that?

DXHuff wrote:
it was the G73-JW

If it is the white clip the ribbon goes into and not the ribbon itself is there a fix for that?

Mine did break( THE WHITE FEMALE PLUG) on the second HD connector on the MB. How do I fix it/replace it? My ribbon cable is
not tight and secure and I cant access my HD's!! PANIC1406214063
PLEASE HELP

Pitcher1
Level 9
Hi, If you are worrying disassembl damage by yourself, please provide photo or sent to ASUS repair center to check it.

Thanks Scott & Mike, I got the keyboard replacement today and the install took all of 10 minutes and it works perfectly now.