cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal sensor cable and connector for hotwire

Zka17
Level 16
Hello fellows,

I was playing around lately with my GTX680 DCII TOPs... realized that actually they're pretty bad overclockers as they came out of the box (just to clarify, they're one of the best cards out there, I'm unsatisfied just with their overclockabiity)... - so, I decided that will hotwire them!

The question I have is: May I use the thermal sensor cables with the connectors (sensor part cut off) which came with the Rampage III Extreme board?

I never used those sensor cables, perhaps never will, and the connector fits very well on the RIVE's hotwire connector... they're pretty tin though... - that's why I'm asking if they're good for the purpose...

Anyway, does someone knows what wiring is recommended for the hotwire thing?
6 REPLIES 6

Menthol
Level 14
I would use motherboard power or reset cables, I have no Idea what size wire the sensor cables are or what the minimum size needed, are you going to connect them to your motherboard or to a variable resistor? just curious

RonanC
Level 10
Id use the reset type wires i sent you 😉 you want to use that gauge wire..if its too small a gauge..what if the wire came away from pcb...blown card springs to mind..play it safe

Zka17
Level 16
Menthol:
Yeah, that was my original idea too... then I saw these sensor cables and thought to ask... I will hotwire them directly to the mobo, and the sensor cable already has the two pin connector on it...

RonanC:
I guess, any cable/wire could be accidentally pulled off - specially in my case, as I have a TestBench (everything is in open air)...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I think it's pretty standard from what I have seen to do as Menthol said and use MB power and reset cables......just how thin are the sensor ones you have? they are not carrying much voltage or current ... you know you have to solder off that tiny resistor too 😉

Zka17
Level 16
Yeap, have to remove the one of the resistors and and also bridge two points somewhere else... 🙂

Zka17 wrote:
bridge two points somewhere else... 🙂

Oh really...that I hadn't read...is there a decent guide you have found out there?