cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73J issue with graphics

DoubleAught
Level 7
Hello, I'm having some issues with my graphics on my G73J laptop. I play WOW and with the new expansion I noticed many of the graphics would turn black slowly and gradually get worse. After speaking to WOW support and AMD support I was able to update the graphic card driver to the latest one. It ran perfectly for a couple days but now I notice it will either begin to pixel, where the colored pixels will move around, or it will black out half the screen, or it will turn the entire screen a shade of peach with white vertical lines. All of which symptoms require a hard reset of the laptop.

I monitor the temp of the graphic card with a desktop gadget. During game play it hovers around 75 Celsius.

My card is an ATI mobility Radeon HD 5870.

Anyone have any advice on what may be causing this?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
Perhaps you are monitoring the graphics core but something other than the core is still overheating? When was the last time you cleaned the machine out with compressed air?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks for the reply. One of the first things I did once I to began developing issues was to unscrew the bottom plate and blow out all the dust with compressed air. I've had overheating issues in the past so it's the first thing I normally do.

Pitcher1
Level 9
When you stop for a while, issue still happen?

Yes it does. I've been dealing with ATI and have tried different things. I was able to clear all remnants of the old vga driver from the laptop and successfully updated to latest driver. That worked well for a few days and fixed the blacking out graphics. However, now after a couple days I experience screen flicker then the driver stops responding and gives me a screen colored a shade of peach with white verticle lines. ATI is telling me its tge card but Im not convinced just yet. I've had bad cards before and the problem was constant, not intermittent like I'm seeing now. I currently have tge latest driver downloaded that ASUS offers for my card, it's a couple years old but has worked flawlessly for two days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this has it fixed.

Sounds to me like you never updated your vBIOS. After you follow these instructions you will be able to use all the newest driver updates without issue.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/515309-how-fix-your-gsod-blues.html