cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking? Exchange?

superthrust
Level 7
Hi, I have a g53jw, And sadly i was forced to do a clean install. What program do i use to overclock the CPU and the graphics card safely?

Also, How do i know what motherboard i have that will support exchange?
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
When you say you did a clean install, why do you think your CPU and VGA settings were changed? I am just interested and curious here.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
When you say you did a clean install, why do you think your CPU and VGA settings were changed? I am just interested and curious here.

Its not that i think they changed its that i would like them to overclock and increase while i am gaming...I am just wanting to increase the power and potential.

So far people have told me MSI afterburner, and NVIDIAinspector...inspector is confusing...

and then someone said SETFSB...

kkn
Level 14
superthrust wrote:
Hi, I have a g53jw, And sadly i was forced to do a clean install. What program do i use to overclock the CPU and the graphics card safely?

Also, How do i know what motherboard i have that will support exchange?

from what i remember ( i will not guarantee this, its just a long time ago i did read about this so ) it is mostly for the maximus 5 series ( i may be wrong tho )

Zka17
Level 16
For OC'ing the CPU and memories the best way is to go into BIOS... MSI Afterburner is good for the graphics card... - however, you have to be aware that the the OC'ing is limited by the temps! And a laptop will be always worse overclocker than a desktop...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah thank you I do understand. You would get most of your gains from overclocking the VGA, which VGA does your particular laptop have?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

TL
Level 7
Before you overclock, watch out your laptop power adapter rating 😄

fostert
Level 12
superthrust wrote:

I was able to OC my 560M GPU successfully and stably with MSI Afterburner. I didn't really bench it much afterwards, except with Windows Experience Index. Both 2D and 3D scores went from 7.2 (stock) -> 7.4 (OC), which for WEI is significant.

I wouldn't OC the CPU in a laptop...the system stresses are magnified as compared to a desktop, and there is just no telling what'll stress out first. Plus laptops are not modular like desktops, so if the VRMs or caps on the mainboard go, the whole laptop is gone, unless you can find another mainboard to put in...
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40