cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 Apps (Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, TuneIn) will not stream

Swiper
Level 7
I went ahead and updated the OS on my ASUS G76VW-DS71 to Windows 8. Everything seems to be working fine, except for on thing:

None of the streaming apps (Netflix, Hulu Plus, TuneIn, Youtube) will actually stream anything. The apps starts up and I can select a video, but when I press play the streaming will not start (Netflix get stuck on 97%). I can stream from all the services if I use a web browser but not from the Windows 8 apps.

Any ideas what the cause is and how to fix it?

EDIT: The Windows Firewall is allowing the apps to pass through. I also turned it off but it did not help.

EDIT2: Skype app now immediately close down when trying to open it up.
8 REPLIES 8

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Are these Apps official Win8 Apps that came with it, or from the websites?

Apexing
Level 9
if you read the comments for the apps, many people are having these issues across all tpes pf pc.
so its the apps that are faulty.

I used the restore Windows 8 to factory settings option. It wiped out all device drivers brought over from Windows 7. Now streaming works fine, but I will have to reinstall all third party software.

madnj
Level 9
Yeah, I'm a big fan of fresh installs for OSes anyway. It's honestly the first thing I do whenever I get new hardware. Upgrades generally work, but you may have some oddities with application compatibility/driver support, but a fresh install will give you a cleaner baseline to start with.

For me personally, I just took the system drive my G75 came with and made it my secondary drive and performed a clean install on a new drive. I won't say buying a new hard drive is the answer for most people, but with new OSes generally I like to test it on the hardware before trusting an upgrade.

I was having a streaming issue as well, but only on my upgrade install, not my clean install. Netflix gave me an error about my audio driver. I updated it, and still had it, so I went into my settings and adjusted my sample rate from 24 bit at 48k, to 24 at 44.1k, and it worked in my upgrade, so you may want to check that.

Netflix was giving me driver errors whenever I tried to watch anything, but I managed to fix it.
I'm running 2x Radeon 7970 HD with Catalyst Control Center 12.10 drivers.

Here's what I did:
1. Went into 'device manager' and clicked on 'Display Adapters'
2 Right clicked on my video card, selected 'properties'-->'driver' tab-->'Update Driver' button
3. Allowed windows to search for a driver. It actually installed an older driver. Like, from last year.
4. At this point I was able to successfully run the Netflix app and stream video.
5. I then ran the Catalyst Control Center installer to reinstall the newer driver. Had to re-enable Crossfire once that was done.
6. Ran the Netflix app, it still works!

Not sure why this worked, or if it will do the trick for any other type of video card, but it's worth a try.

You can try Netflix US DNS to speed up your streaming

You can try to open these on the browser and see if they work?

If they work on the browser, then there might be an issue with the apps. Uninstall and reinstall, login again, and try.

If they're not opening on the browser as well, then there must be an IP issue. Try using a VPN. Check out expressvpn's review here.

If both of these don't work, you should contact support.