cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 8 PRO upgrade: How to keep your ATK On-screen stuff and Power 4 Gear!

finalhour
Level 11
Hey Guys and gals!

I just did my upgrade and I'm HAPPY to report that I have both Power4Gear and ATK things functioning. The key step that lets you do this is upgrading vs. a clean install. I upgraded from Windows 7 using Microsoft's deal and after ~35min got it all finished. Keyboard backlight, screen brightness, and volume controls ALL SHOW SCREEN OVERLAYS. All of my hotkeys work. Additionally my power settings were carried over and I'm currently set to Power4Gear High performance. I wanted to be sure people knew that you CAN keep these, many posts stipulated that you couldn't but those users had either installed the RT or had done a clean install.
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz
20 REPLIES 20

Dennis_St__John
Level 8
If you do a clean install, couldn't you just install the Win 7 driver package for these components, or does that not work and what we're still waiting on from ASUS?

I reinstalled the ATK Win7-drivers after upgrading to Windows 8. It seems to be working fine to me.

Dennis St. John wrote:
If you do a clean install, couldn't you just install the Win 7 driver package for these components, or does that not work and what we're still waiting on from ASUS?

That is what I did.. no problems so far.
Asus G55VW-RS71 - i7 3610QM, 8GB DDR3, GTX 660M 2GB, 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD

ggBanks
Level 10
Well I did a clean install, and what happened was that the WiFi driver gave me blue screens every time I restarted the computer, so I had to re-install Windows because of it. Then I left it out because Windows had drivers for it out of the box anyway so it could work without the driver. My Hot keys wouldn't work unless I started the HControl.exe file in the ATK Package install directory. My touch pad wouldn't auto run every time I booted my computer (still worked if I started it myself). Power 4 gear Wouldn't start at all no matter what! And my USB 3.0 drivers are still not working. I am using a G55 and did a clean install on my brand new SanDisk Extreme SSD. I really doubt that everything is working for you but if I am wrong please explain in details how did you make everything work!

rewben
Level 13
@ggBanks, the wifi induced blue-screen was mentioned here. the solution is here, along with Power4Gear. the visual indicators are still missing (ATK package). you can try to install this one (all fn combo keys are working for me).

ggBanks
Level 10
Thank you rewben I must have missed these updates somehow. And for me the old ATK Package is working except the touchpad button, but that is not a big deal for now.

P.S. I tried the Power 4 Gear and it seems to be functioning properly, but I cannot change the plans with the designated button for it, and this version doesn't seem to have the disable Optical drive like the last one, which I was looking forward to testing if the problem with my HDD in the caddy will be fixed 😞

rewben
Level 13
theoretically, the system should have detect that it is a HDD instead of optical drive. i am not sure about this but did you try to set in the power plan to NOT put the HDD to sleep?

i am using SSD in the caddy, so it seemed fine to me.

ggBanks
Level 10
Yes I did it! And you can't notice it in your case because the SSD isn't using moving parts and you cant hear it when it stops working, but when in a quiet room I can hear my HDD spin down after around 60 seconds of being idle. And when I watch videos from time to time just for a second or two the disk seems to get overloaded (not sure about this one) with requests by the system somehow and maybe that causes it to lag with the videos. It looks like a hiccup like the video is running smoothly then for the period of 1-2 seconds it looses half of its frames and the audio somehow gets distorted, but after those 1-2 seconds it goes back to playing the video properly.

rewben
Level 13
hm.. it's kinda weird. i thought the system should have detected that the disk is active (watching videos should mean near constant reads).