cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System upgrade from i5 750 to 3930k (for live streaming PS3)

Mithos
Level 8
The new parts I want to purchase:
CPU: Intel 3930k
CPU Cooling: Corsair H100
Mobo: Asus RIVE
Ram: ??? I want 16gb of great ram for overclocking. Some people say dual channel, other people say quad channel??

Re-using these parts:
GPU: Sapphire 5770
PSU Corsair TX550
Case: HAF 932
HD: 128gb Crucial m4 + 2x Western Digital Caviar Blacks (not in raid)

I will upgrade the GPU at a later date.
I am using my machine for live streaming my PS3 with a video capture card and XSplit.
I also use a PS2 emulator on my PC for live streaming once in a while too.
I am not big into computer games at the moment.

So my questions would be...
1) is that PSU okay to use with the new setup? I'd like to overclock my cpu as high as I can without overvolting.

2) Does the ram HAVE to be a quad channel kit? or is a dual channel kit okay?

3) What drives would you recommend for video storage? Are 3tb caviar greens okay?

Ram I am considering:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX39111 (2 of these kits)
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX39112 (1 of these kits)
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX37137 (1 of these kits)
11 REPLIES 11

kkn
Level 14
get a new psu!!!
the green ones are not good for desktop.
get a normal hdd not the green ones, they tend to power down to hibrenate after ?? time.

I see, good to know about those two things. It's a pity my 550 can't be re-used 😧

And, do I REQUIRE a quad channel ram kit for this board? Or can I buy 2 dual channel kits as I linked above in original post?

kkn
Level 14
as a rule have this, never mix 2 difrent kits of ram.
always buy one kit, that way you will be shure you do not have enny problem whit it.
go whit the 2x8gig kit ( 1600mhz or more )

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey there! 🙂 yeah, good advice from kkn in general. The RAM is a particular concern on X79. The platform likes quality kits...stay clear of Vengeance for example;) and go with something like GSkill Z series or dominators. Definitely best to buy a single kit of quad channel. The board will run dual or triple channel kits but combining any kit, even if they are "identical" could cause problems.

The PSU, would probably fire up the system but really putting the system under load would be a bit hard on it! maybe fatal...:eek:

The drives not sure never had "green"...just performance wise not really interested but if you're power concious etc they'd be ok. Personally I like the black series....

Krindor
Level 11
For ram get either a 4x4 quad channel for 16 gb or a 4x8 for 32 gb. As you wanted 16 go for a 4x4 g.skill z with either 1600 mhz or factory oc between 1866 and 2166
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Thanks for the replies guys.
So... It sounds like, even if I buy 2 kits of 'identical' ram modules to run in a quad channel setup, that is not a good idea.
Good to get that question out of the way.

One 16gb quad channel kit it is.

Now, for best performance I'd like to narrow down the ram speed and type. I will be sticking (ohh pun.. haha) with G.Skill this time.
The RIVE seems to support DDR3 2400 (O.C.) / 2133 (O.C.) / 1866 / 1600 / 1333.

The highest speed and most expensive of those is the 2400 of course.
And the 1600 seems to be easier to come by and cheaper.

For best performance, should I choose one speed over the other? Or would I not experience any difference? (I'm spending nearly $600 on a processor, so $40 more at this point is no biggy)

Keep in mind my target overclock is probably 4.2-4.5 (I don't want to overvolt the 3930k)

Thanks again for your time!
I appreciate that this forum replies so quickly!

Mithos wrote:
I will be sticking (ohh pun.. haha)

:rolleyes::D

Yeah GSkill is the way to go on these boards great kits. i would say 2133 is a sweet spot if you want higher performance RAM but if you are going to be using the computer for normal everyday use and games etc. you will notice no difference from a 1600MHz kit. If you are in to benching and performance benchmarks get the faster kits.

The RAM is independant in great part from your CPU OC. You will get 4.2 pretty easy. 4.5 you will have to increase voltage.

In terms of overclocking, I am still quite a noob.
Reading on ram gives me a headache for the most part so I thought I'd ask you guys again...
For overclocking the 3930k on a RIVE, which of these 2 sets would be 'better'?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231503

DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
Timing 9-11-10-28
Cas Latency 9
Voltage 1.65V

or

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231501

DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
Timing 11-11-11-30
Cas Latency 11
Voltage 1.6V

Thanks for your time again

Mithos wrote:
In terms of overclocking, I am still quite a noob.
Reading on ram gives me a headache for the most part so I thought I'd ask you guys again...

I recommend that you read the following article about different memory kits from DDR3-1333 to DDR3-2400.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/memory-performance-16gb-ddr31333-to-ddr32400-on-ivy-bridge-igp-wi...

To get the gist of the article, at least read the first and last pages. If you want to learn more, and your brain isn't hurting too much, the parts in the middle are great, too. FYI, the author, Ian Cutress, has a PhD and is also a competitive over-clocker with several national records under his belt, so he knows what he's talking about.
ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula Motherboard / Intel Core i7-3770K CPU De-lid @ 4.8GHz Offset / 2 x ASUS ROG DirectCU II GeForce GTX 670 4GB GPUs in SLi / 32GB G.SKILL Trident X DDR3-2400 RAM / ASUS BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray Burner / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / WD Black 4TB HDD / Seasonic Platinum-1000 PSU / Win7 Pro 64-bit OS / Corsair Obsidian 650D Case / Custom Watercooling with Dual Radiators / ASUS PB278Q 27" WQHD Monitor / Max Nighthawk X8 Keyboard / Razer DeathAddder Mouse / ASUS ROG Vulcan ANC Headset