cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with system restore on new Win8 G75

Pikapichu
Level 9
I just purchased a new G75 from Best Buy that comes with Windows 8. I have never used it before and accidentally created (or reactivated?) an old Windows Live account that I do not want associated with my system. Unfortunately for me, it seems that it is now the main admin account. I would much rather use my other Live account, as it's has a couple programs and purchases associated with it. I figure the easiest way to do this is to perform a system restore. The problem is that the restore process (as described in the Asus user manual) doesn't seem to work. I encounter an error every time I try to perform a system restore.

When I try to start 'Remove everything and reinstall windows' I get the following message
'There was a problem resetting your PC'

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
G75VW || 660m / 24GB RAM / Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD
3 REPLIES 3

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Pikapichu wrote:
I just purchased a new G75 from Best Buy that comes with Windows 8.!

Go into control panel ==> admin tools ==> users and see if you can fix there.

On the other hand if your machine is messed up right now then just return it to best buy and get a new one ... and be more careful!

john_from_ohio wrote:
Go into control panel ==> admin tools ==> users and see if you can fix there.

On the other hand if your machine is messed up right now then just return it to best buy and get a new one ... and be more careful!

Thanks for the reply. I went in to the users settings earlier and opted to create a local account and it seemed to have removed the Windows Live account that I created earlier. Strange. What really bothers me now is not being able to perform a system restore if and when I somehow really screw up my system. 😞
G75VW || 660m / 24GB RAM / Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD

Pikapichu wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I went in to the users settings earlier and opted to create a local account and it seemed to have removed the Windows Live account that I created earlier. Strange. What really bothers me now is not being able to perform a system restore if and when I somehow really screw up my system. 😞

Windows 8 does still have the ( old ) version of Win 7 backup tools.

You should be able to create a system image onto an external drive Control Panel ==> Windows 7 File Recovery ...

If I had a new G75VW I would test that out by creating a system image / create a Win 8 recovery disk ... pulling out current internal drives ... putting in a spare ... and see if you can recover that way.

If you cannot recover a system like that ... big trouble ... but the time to prove you can do it is right now while it can be returned!