Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

WINDOWS 8 TRACKPAD Gesture+Charm Bar: HOW DO I KILL IT!?

Ok so I can't be the only one who's BEYOND fed up with the Windows 8 gestures on the trackpad...I can use it as delicately as I want and it still does it! I tried a registry fix (dont worry I backed it up!) that was listed on several forums to fix it and it WONT Disable! Any ideas/anyone have any luck!?

-Nate
    G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

New ROGer Array

Open up notepad or whatever, make a .reg file with this copy pasted in

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\Zone Config\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull]
    "ActionType"=dword:00000000
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\Zone Config\TouchPadPS2\Left Edge Pull]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\Zone Config\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull Extended Zone]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\Zone Config\TouchPadPS2\Top Edge Pull]

Run it then reboot. Not sure how to disable the swiping from edge to center though, just found this one googling around.

DId that, it doesnt work. As I said in my post, I googled, and it didn't work
    G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

New ROGer Array

Outside of the corner to middle swipe that goes back and forth between Metro and Desktop, that killed the rest of the gestures for me, so dunno what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Outside of the corner to middle swipe that goes back and forth between Metro and Desktop, that killed the rest of the gestures for me, so dunno what to say.
    It's the corner-middle swipe thing that I'm trying to kill

New ROGer Array

Oh well, then I'm with you, cause that one is bugging me alot

ROG Member Array

Assuming you upgraded...check the registry...mine had two entries, TouchPadPS2 and TouchPadPS_3, after updating the drivers. So, edit the line accordingly.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Vivix7 View Post
    Assuming you upgraded...check the registry...mine had two entries, TouchPadPS2 and TouchPadPS_3, after updating the drivers. So, edit the line accordingly.
    Checking the registry, mine was laid out in a different way (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\Zo neConfig\Defaults), edited those, rebooted, and looks like the gesture got killed. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Checking the registry, mine was laid out in a different way (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\Zo neConfig\Defaults), edited those, rebooted, and looks like the gesture got killed. Thanks.
    Can you copy and paste so I can see what you did? Is it just that the ones on other forums had a bit of the reg key path wrong?

I had a very funny experience.
    Was using the Touchpad 16.1.80.0 driver. Uninstalled it. Installed v16.2.1.17. Had multiple issues with gestures, touchpad was unusable. Moving it even 1mm horizontally caused the window to loose focus.

Then I uninstalled 16.2, installed 16.1, then installed 16.2 on top of it. (rebooting after every setup, goes without saying)
    It worked - there is now a new item in my tray that reads Synaptics pointing device. There is no context menu, but double clicking it opens Asus Smart Gesture - a neat app that allows you to disable 1, 2, 3-finger and edge gestures. Can also disable touchpad when external mouse is connected.
    There are however a few issues:
    -I can't find the Asus Smart Locator than enables me to define the size and position of the area that activates the touchpad when typing (it should be inactive otherwise to prevent accidental touches while typing).
    -I can't disable the tray icon.
    -The settings don't show as a tab in Control Panel -> Mouse
    Last edited by pROGammer; 10-30-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    More memory is more.
    SSD means Super-Sonic Disc.
    Thunderbolt is awesome and then some.
    Ergonomics: feel is more important than looks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast