cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touchpad as a Touchscreen?

Alexraptor
Level 7
A while back i saw that Synaptics was demonstrating something they called Indirect Touch or Windows 8, that allowed the touchpad to be used exactly as a touchscreen, being able to drag and drop stuff etc.

Ive been looking around but have not been able to find out if that driver or software suite was ever released or is going to be released.
All i find is about these fancy swipe commands to bring up the charms bar etc.

So does anyone know if this kind of driver support is out or coming or if it was just something they were just experimenting with?
8 REPLIES 8

cl-scott
Level 12
Odds are it was just an idea they were kicking around, and they had a simple demo up and running, but then ran into some technical issues. Like for starters, the touchpad on the average PC laptop is really pretty small. Apple has a rather large one, but even then I wouldn't think it'd work overly well for anything involving precision. If you think of the relative scale, even on a 13" screen, your finger would be a good 3-4" square. Rather like trying to use a comical wooden maul hammer to pound a nail.

finalhour
Level 11
Alexraptor wrote:
A while back i saw that Synaptics was demonstrating something they called Indirect Touch or Windows 8, that allowed the touchpad to be used exactly as a touchscreen, being able to drag and drop stuff etc.

Ive been looking around but have not been able to find out if that driver or software suite was ever released or is going to be released.

So does anyone know if this kind of driver support is out or coming or if it was just something they were just experimenting with?

I think the support for it is driver-based. I read on several articles that some companies have the win. 8 driver ready and some don't. Odds are Synaptics/ASUS aren't ready which isn't surprising since half the drivers on the G75 aren't ready...
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

finalhour
Level 11
Alexraptor wrote:

See?
http://www.howtogeek.com/126084/how-to-use-windows-8s-gestures-on-a-laptop-trackpad/
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

Already have the gestures running, but thats not what i am talking about.

Alexraptor wrote:
Already have the gestures running, but thats not what i am talking about.

my bad... ....can you link me to the article/video, sounds cool...doubt it will work on a G75 but who knows!

finalhour
Level 11
Alexraptor wrote:

See?
http://www.howtogeek.com/126084/how-to-use-windows-8s-gestures-on-a-laptop-trackpad/

Alexraptor
Level 7

Woots
Level 11
I saw a different demo like this before myself during an eletronic trade show video a lil while back.I would love to have my touchpad work like that, i would actually use it over the mouse if it did.
PC Setup:
Battlestation Setup: