cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I max out my 7970?

Towel
Level 7
So I was trying to overclock my card for the first time, so I went on GPUTweak and played around with the settings. I ended up getting everything to the max settings it could go to (GPU Clock & Memory Clock) and I'm wondering, is this normal or can I do something to make it go any higher (GPU Clock, Memory Clock)? My voltage stays at 1110 all the time too, is it normal for the card to be running at that with maxed Core & Memory clocks? I'm new to overclocking so sorry for the questions if they're too noob... Here's a picture of what I'm talking about... The card is an ASUS 7970 DC2T card.13179
8 REPLIES 8

Retired
Not applicable
Hi..

No the card is not maxxed out (physically), those are the limits in gpu tweakit..

yes, and no.. You have maxxed out the card in gpu tweakit..

No, The card can run way higher clocks than that..

Its the gpu's bios, or 2 of them, that set the limit, for the card..

Yes, there are ways to go around that also, but please dont.. Many have failed, many got frustrated.. doin that

I dont know what the reference clocks are (7970).. But please do some browsing..

You should at least have the reference 7970 clocks, as a minimum..

X Pack wrote:
Hi..

No the card is not maxxed out (physically), those are the limits in gpu tweakit..

yes, and no.. You have maxxed out the card in gpu tweakit..

No, The card can run way higher clocks than that..

Its the gpu's bios, or 2 of them, that set the limit, for the card..

Yes, there are ways to go around that also, but please dont.. Many have failed, many got frustrated.. doin that

I dont know what the reference clocks are (7970).. But please do some browsing..

You should at least have the reference 7970 clocks, as a minimum..

I know what the reference 7970 clocks are. And woops, uploaded the wrong picture. Re-uploading the correct one. Also, I ran FurMark again, and at maxed everything on GPUTweak, I'm getting lower scores than before. I get like 1-3 FPS... What's wrong with this? Lol.

Retired
Not applicable
And the thing is, same gpu models, dont necessary have the same bios/versions.. Its a variety sometimes..

And that card in particular, i dont know much about..

But hey, you are in the right place..

welcome

Often the cooling, and the voltage is setting the limits for most cards..

And go even further (ROG Xtreme), OC headroom, differ from specimen 2 specimen

Golden nuggets, are keepers.... ;o).. The rest will find new owners..

X Pack wrote:
And the thing is, same gpu models, dont necessary have the same bios/versions.. Its a variety sometimes..

And that card in particular, i dont know much about..

But hey, you are in the right place..

welcome

Often the cooling, and the voltage is the limitations for most cards..

Seems like I got a lot to learn, lol. FurMark says my card's power consumption is at 40W - 50W range and it was lagging (1FPS), so I lowered the voltage, and the power consumption went up, got 15FPS @ 71W Power Consumption, so I'll experiment with that... O_o

EDIT: Got to lowest Voltage setting available on GPUTweak, still doesn't fix the low framerate & low power consumption issue on FurMark.

oldbrave
Level 9
The problem you have is that your running the wrong version of GPU Tweak, go to my post and DL the 22.14 Ver.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24233-unoffical-GPUtweak&country=&status=
Electronic Smoke Signals From my TechnoTeepee
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5162Mhz [21x245] 1.546v 🙂
Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=52c
32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.5 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

oldbrave wrote:
The problem you have is that your running the wrong version of GPU Tweak, go to my post and DL the 22.14 Ver.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24233-unoffical-GPUtweak&country=&status=

I have no problem with the voltages on this one, I ran it at like 7000p resolution or something with 8x Anti-Aliasing on FurMark and it got better scores than 1080p resolution with no Anti-Aliasing. The question is, if I use that GPUTweak you sent me, would I be able to clock my Core and Memory clocks higher? Or is it just voltage?

EDIT: Tried to download it, file is invalid.

Retired
Not applicable
is that the 1,4v??

Towel> I think you should take it easy with that one, if you are new to OC..

if you are going to use that one..

1,4v can damage your stock card.. and are often used, at very high clocks..

Heat/voltage = Bad combination..

X Pack wrote:
is that the 1,4v??

Towel> I think you should take it easy with that one, if you are new to OC..

if you are going to use that one..

1,4v can damage your stock card.. and are often used, at very high clocks..

Heat/voltage = Bad combination..

How much would my card be able to handle?