cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really strange display bugs on 7970 DCII

ZeraLion
Level 7
Hi everyone,
I've bought a 7970 DCII and until some weeks ago, everything was going fine. But once, when I turned on my computer, my screen was covered with "colorful squares". They were approximately everywhere on the screen. Here you a portion of my desktop.
Additionally, there's really strange display bugs, like big black marks when I drag a window,...
I've tried everything to solve the problem, updating the driver, I even completely removed my OS (I had windows 7) and installed windows 8 with the latest drivers, I tried to turn on and off the little switch that's on the card itself, but nothing worked.

Finally I found 2 ways to make these strange squares and the graphics bugs disappear:

• Set the resolution of my screen at 1600x900 or below OR
  • Having the card at 1920x1080 but setting the scaling options under a certain value (below is an image so that you can see this value) but this way, the display doesn't fill my computer's screen.

I really don't understand what the problem is. If you had a solution it would be really great 🙂
Thanks in advance for your help
6 REPLIES 6

Thomas
Level 10
Do you see these dots while in the BIOS?

Are you able to try swapping over the VGA card, Monitor or VGA cable?
Thomas Jenner
Asus UK

Thomas@Asus wrote:
Do you see these dots while in the BIOS?

Are you able to try swapping over the VGA card, Monitor or VGA cable?

No I only see them on Windows, and that's why I don't think it's a monitor problem. I already tried to change the cable. Now I'm using an HDMI to HDMI cable, with an HDMI to DVI adaptor, but I also tried an HDMI to DVI cable, and the problem remains.
Unfortunately I don't have another 1920x1080 monitor to test with.
Do you think I should try to change the slot I inserted the card in?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Before you go that route. Please boot to OS in safe mode and completely remove the drivers from your system. Try and snag any left over stragglers in BIOS that might not have been removed.

Once you have that sorted, boot to OS and install the latest WHQL drivers for your card. Also ensure your DirectX is up to date.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Before you go that route. Please boot to OS in safe mode and completely remove the drivers from your system. Try and snag any left over stragglers in BIOS that might not have been removed.

Once you have that sorted, boot to OS and install the latest WHQL drivers for your card. Also ensure your DirectX is up to date.

Dxdiag tells me that my DirectX version is 11, so I think it's up to date. And in some way I already did what you suggests me, but I did more: when I was on Windows 7 and after seeing that updating my drivers didn't solve the problem, I completely formatted my hard drive and installed a clean Windows 8 on it. Then I installed the latest drivers for my card from AMD's website.

HiVizMan
Level 40
RMA the card. You have exceeded what can reasonably be expected.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
RMA the card. You have exceeded what can reasonably be expected.

So the card is faulty... ok and thank you for your help!