cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sli or no sli

grassy
Level 12
Hey People, i have 2 Gtx 690's and have them running in sli mode. Is it worth doing that as i am only using 1 dell u3011 monitor. I dont really know that much about the sli configuration as opposed to running without sli. I am seriously thinking on disabling one of my 690's as i feel that having 2 is an overkill.(i think). Someone please put me straight as i cant see any difference in when i had the 1 card as opposed to both running. They do look good in the case though.:o
FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE
23 REPLIES 23

HiVizMan
Level 40
Overkill. Your are running only one monitor and while your res is nice and big, the single 690 will max out most games on that single monitor.

But hell yeah it does look good to have two cards in a system. 😛
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Overkill. Your are running only one monitor and while your res is nice and big, the single 690 will max out most games on that single monitor.

But hell yeah it does look good to have two cards in a system. 😛
I am beginning to think you are correct, well now i come to think of it you are, but i would really like to be able to set up what i have and make it work. If i have to, i will disable my pci lane with my second card in it and only run the one card until i get the other 2 monitors.The more i look at this monitor the less i am inclined to buy the other two as its quite big.:)

Thomas
Level 10
1x GTX690 is overkill for most people 😛

2x 690's will really only benefit people using a multi-monitor configuration.
Thomas Jenner
Asus UK

micketkeong
Level 7
SLI, I have 2 GTX 590 in SLI and they let me play every game max setting in Full HD, both of your GTX 690 will let you enjoy nice gaming on your u3011 monitor.
i7 3930K C2 (4.5 ghz, Core Voltage 1.320V, offset VCore +0.010 previous [+0.020], BIOS 4901)(XSPC Raystorm Water block)
ASUS RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME
Corsair CMZ 16GX3M4X1866C9
ASUS ROG GTX 1080 STRIX
DELL U2713HM
Intel 530 240GB SSD RAID 0
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6 x 2 (non RAID)
SILVERSTONE STRIDER 1500W
Hardware Lab Black Ice SR1 Low Air Flow Optimized - 360 Radiator
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM x 6

Zka17
Level 16
Well, if you already have the two GTX690s, then certainly SLI them!

Why? Just because you can... :cool:

If you really want to feel the benefit of them, get more monitor(s) and/or start 3D benching... 🙂

Zka17 wrote:
Well, if you already have the two GTX690s, then certainly SLI them!

Why? Just because you can... :cool:

If you really want to feel the benefit of them, get more monitor(s) and/or start 3D benching... 🙂
I totally agree, but from my side here it seems because i am sli'ing them(i think) gameplay is a little unstable( i should have mentioned this in my first post). 🙂 I will definately get another 2 of these monitors and would love to learn about 3d benching but for now i would really love to be able to understand how to get my cards working in with my system so my gameplay is smooth and not choppy. I reaaly didnt know what i was buying into with the second card, i seem to have gotten more than i bargained for.:) Ah but its all good i suppose. 🙂

grassy
Level 12
Thanks for the reply's for the record my gameplay seems worse with 2 cards. I unfortunately have a lot to learn when it comes to the performance and quality config with my system. It seems that everytime i play a game in quad sli i have to enable v sync to get a decent gameplay screen.This is certainly a whole lot different than the ps3 thats for sure. Somehow because these cards have 2 gpu's sli dosnt seem to be a good idea. I dunno i might be wrong.I am just speculating at the moment as i am still treading water with these cards. But i do definately know that so far 1 card works better in my case than 2 you guys can be assured that from a 690 owner.I would love to hear someones opinion on this that owns one as i could probably learn a thing or two. Maybe i am missing something or i have bottlenecked my system with all my ram.

Zka17
Level 16
If I recall correctly, for most games the best setup is 2-way SLI... you already have that on a single card... - games doesn't seem to scale nice on more than 2 GPUs... So, having a single GTX690 and OC'ing it under water may be a better choice...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah it is hell to have 6 27" monitors 😮

Wish that set up was mine.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.