cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Windows 8 Though the Microsoft website???

Daylife
Level 9
Hey guys, I have a quick question...I know you can install windows 8 through the Microsoft website for $39.99 but i was curious to ask if you got your own Key so if you ever have to reboot your PC you'll always have your own licensed Key. Also i am currenty running an SSD and would it matter if i just installed it straight through the site or would it be much better to do a clean install?
6 REPLIES 6

finalhour
Level 11
If you buy it, they give you the ISO, you can then make your own install disc, or you can order one from them too for an extra 14.99. they email you the key and yes even if you buy just the download, as long as you make a disc you can do as many clean installs as you want (on your one computer) with that key! 🙂 Hope this helps!
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you do the upgrade it is $14.99 last time I looked.

And the EULA spells out exactly what you can and can not do with the licensed software.

RETAIL UPGRADE

We do not sell our software or your copy of it – we only license it. Under our license, we grant you the right to install and run that one copy on one computer (the licensed computer), for use by one person at a time, but only if you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Typically, this means you can install one copy of the software on a personal computer and then you can use the software on that computer.

Now what this means to me is I can upgrade my system and then in three months time when a new motherboard catches my fancy I will de-register this build by wiping the SSD and reinstall on my new build. I can only have one build with the one licence.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
If you do the upgrade it is $14.99 last time I looked.

And the EULA spells out exactly what you can and can not do with the licensed software.

Now what this means to me is I can upgrade my system and then in three months time when a new motherboard catches my fancy I will de-register this build by wiping the SSD and reinstall on my new build. I can only have one build with the one licence.

Yeah that's what I meant with my post... >_< hope my explanation didn't confuse! In my experience it's actually OEM licenses that are more of a pain. when I was working IT at my undergrad, so many students with xp or vista or even 7 from OTHER computer manufacturers (HP/ACER/Lenovo...) would come in with a laptop that had the sticker with a valid key on the bottom, getting errors that their copy of Windows was suddenly not valid. Microsoft now has a help desk that is FREE (check it out if you have windows 8 questions beyond what you asked here) but back a few years ago, they didn't. Anyway sorry for the long story, but my point is, after calling them, they would always just issue a new key since the manufacturer sold it with an OEM key that was set to expire a few years after. So don't worry about using it multiple times on this single machine, if any registration issues arise Microsoft is usually fair and helpful to take care of things.
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

Got it :d Thanks!
I have a buddy that got an ERROR installing windows 8 through the site and now his computer is taking about 15 minutes to reboot......Has this happened to anyone?

finalhour
Level 11
I had no trouble myself...

Daylife
Level 9
Would it be better to do a fresh install of Windows 8? or to just upgrade straight from the microsoft website?