cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't install second Windows 7 in my Asus G75VW

javiergo5
Level 7
Hi ROG users

My name's Javi and I recently acquired a brand new Asus G75VW - RS72. It came with Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64 preinstalled. I want to intall another Windows 7, whatever, and make dual boot, one for gaming and one for working.

The notebook also came with a HDD 750gb, and original OS is installed on first partition of 280gb, while the second partition is empty. The HDD is formated in GPT style, and you already know that BIOS support UEFI boot.

I would like to know if you can help me with one problem: I can't install any Windows 7 on the second partition, and is a primary (main) partition, and from Windows I formatted in NTFS type. When I have to select the partition for install Windows throws this error:

"windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"

What is the problem? I have UEFI boot enabled so why Windows 7 disk doesn´t detect it? I tried with a lot of Windows 7 installation disks, with or without SP1 and I always have the same problem. I have to tell that these disks I tried are cracked versions of Windows 7, so the only thing left for me is trying to install an original Windows 7 version. Anyway, that means that I will never be able to install in this laptop a copy Windows but the original one?

I have to tell too that when I need to select the partition to install I can see 5 partitions: two primary partitions, one for OS and one empty where I want to install the second Windows. The other three partitions are not primary ones, one is for recovery and the other two are system ones and I can't remember their names.

Right now I'm in the process of download original versions of Windows 7 from Microsoft page so I can see if these installation disks work, but meanwhile if you can help me with advices I will appreciate too much. Thank you and I wait for your responses.

One more think: the activation Windows key under the notebook only works with the indicated specific version of Windows, or I can use it with another version but same Windows edition?
12 REPLIES 12

tkolarik
Level 9
Do what i did, get rid of the GUID partitions and reinstall on MBR. You have to do a clean install unless you want to pay about $40 for a program that says it can convert and retain data. You only need GUID if you hard drive is larger than 2TB.

Another way to go, is to get a 2nd HD, burn restore disks, remove original drive, restore to new HD, replace original drive. Install EasyBCD to manage boot options.

Hi tkolarik and thank you for your response.
I have to tell that yesterday I downloaded original version of Windows 7 Home Premium and burned into a DVD. I could install Windows 7 on the second partition and used my notebook key to activate it.
Tkolarik I would like to do what you did in the furute, because I want to buy and SSD and put the OS in it, but in the meanwhile I don't want to delete anything. Thank you for your advices. Bye.

javiergo5 wrote:
I have to tell that yesterday I downloaded original version of Windows 7 Home Premium and burned into a DVD. I could install Windows 7 on the second partition and used my notebook key to activate it.
Tkolarik I would like to do what you did in the furute, because I want to buy and SSD and put the OS in it, but in the meanwhile I don't want to delete anything. Thank you for your advices. Bye.

You're probably going to need a second copy of 7, and your key will only work for whatever version came on your computer
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

javiergo5 wrote:

it's against the EULA , you need a second key . Even if on the same notebook

Area 66 wrote:
it's against the EULA , you need a second key . Even if on the same notebook

Hi

You mean that is not legal?

I activated it with my key and had no problems, but what can happen in the future? Updates can detect the two Windows on the same notebook? Could my key become unusable in the future? Should I delete the second Windows then?

Thanks

You cant activate 2 copies with 1 key...I giveup man....do what you will, this whole idea is stupid anyways
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

javiergo5 wrote:
Hi

You mean that is not legal?

I activated it with my key and had no problems, but what can happen in the future? Updates can detect the two Windows on the same notebook? Could my key become unusable in the future? Should I delete the second Windows then?

Thanks

You cant activate 2 copies with 1 key...I giveup man....do what you will, this whole idea is stupid anyways

finalhour wrote:

Pal, did you understand what I said?

I said I activated original Windows 7 downloaded from MS page with my own only key. The fact is that I have two Windows 7 activated, believe it or not. If for you that idea is stupid don't mind answering, as if I care about it. Lots of people make dual boot, same OS or not, so lots of people are stupid...

My little concern was if this procedure is legal or not.

Anyway, thanks for your help guys

javiergo5 wrote:
Hi

Updates can detect the two Windows on the same notebook? Could my key become unusable in the future? Should I delete the second Windows then?

Thanks

If it was a Dell I will know what to reply, but I'm not familiar with the Asus pre-install copy activation and I'm sure it's against the forum rules to talk about it as it's against the EULA.