cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vulcan Pro or Orion

nieee
Level 7
hey guys, i was going to buy the Vulcan Pro but then i noticed there's a new headset which is The Orion. it looks cool and sleek but different from vulcan pro,it doesnt have an ANC. so what go you guys think of Vulcan Pro? iis it good? or the orion is better?
47 REPLIES 47

dedaciai
Level 10
nieee wrote:
hey guys, i was going to buy the Vulcan Pro but then i noticed there's a new headset which is The Orion. it looks cool and sleek but different from vulcan pro,it doesnt have an ANC. so what go you guys think of Vulcan Pro? iis it good? or the orion is better?

IMHO, it would be hard to tell right now since the Orion is not out yet with any legit reviews. I would wait till some reviews come out.
Intel Core 3930K at 4.25GHz
Asus Rampage IV Extreme BIOS 1404
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
EVGA GTX 570 SC 2-Way SLI @ 822/2000/1.038V 24/7 Drivers: WHQL 301.42
2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus XONAR Phoebus
Corsair H100 (p/p)
Corsair Vengance RAM 16GB @1600MHz
Enermax 1350W PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

nieee
Level 7
oh yeah, i'll wait for some reviews.i heard orion is already in the market?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Officially it's released on Friday, but apparently some retailers decided to launch early lol

nieee
Level 7
lol what do you guys think of Vulcan Pro so far? who got it?

dedaciai
Level 10
I don't have the Vulcan Pro, but I do have the Vulcan.

The Vulcan works GREAT for gaming and is average on the music and movie end of things. You will need to play with the equalizers to get it to sound better in music and movies. The soft ear cushions block out a ton of sound (my wife has to basically scream at me to get my attention and that is with the ANC off since I can't use ANC as it makes me nauseous).

IMO, the Vulcan Pro is would be great for people who game on a laptop mostly or don't have a dedicated sound card.
Intel Core 3930K at 4.25GHz
Asus Rampage IV Extreme BIOS 1404
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
EVGA GTX 570 SC 2-Way SLI @ 822/2000/1.038V 24/7 Drivers: WHQL 301.42
2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus XONAR Phoebus
Corsair H100 (p/p)
Corsair Vengance RAM 16GB @1600MHz
Enermax 1350W PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

nieee
Level 7
nice to hear that. my main point buying an headset is for gaming. the design on the Orion is way better than the vulcan,imo and it will look nice wearing it outdoor. i have the orion will have a case and detachable cable. and plus the ANC on the vulcan look like a worth it product

Darkflame
Level 7
I own the Orion Pros, been using them for a good few hours now.

Managed to get these from a British retailer who is selling the headsets a week or so early.

I can't compare it to the Vulcan's as i don't own a pair, they looked absolutely dreadful and online reviews say the active noise cancelling was detrimental to the sound quality and that the passive noise isolation was enough so i decided to go with the stylish looking Orion's instead 🙂

Here's my impressions of the Orion Pro so far:

So far the impressions have been highly positive.

The headphones are the most comfortable i've ever worn, however my ears do get warm after 10 minutes of use, not sweaty, just warm but i guess this simply cannot be avoided with ear pads that create a seal to block out noise (the main reason i got the headset).

The sound quality for games and music is superb and easily beat my Turtlebeech PX5's, the only sound aspect that lets this model down is the bass.

Whilst the bass is not particularly strong, it's not pathetically weak either, fine by me personally because i don't listen to heavy bass songs anyway.

The headset is very light (50g+ lighter than the Vulcan model) and the headband is very soft so after 3 hours of wearing the headset i have felt no pain on the top of my bald head so far.

My biggest grape with the headset is that the cable is not detachable yet the Asus Vulcan's is, i know the Orion isn't meant to be a 'high end' product but for something that has been designed to be more portable, fixing the cable to the device is a step backwards in my opinion.

Still the included 2.5m braided cable is very light and with the included cable tidy should make it easy enough to manage outside of the house, it still means that the cable / connection is not replaceable if it ever gets damaged through normal wear and tear.

This model is 20% cheaper than the Asus Vulcan Pro, thus it doesn't feature Active Noise Cancelling (which the majority of online reviews say is terrible to have on during gaming / listening to music anyway) and it doesn't have an included travel case.

It's a shame it doesn't come with a case as these headphones have clearly been designed to be far more portable than the Vulcan's and are stylish enough to use outside of the home.

Whilst the included Spitfire USB adapter adds power and different useful effects to the headset, it has its flaws.

Plugging the microphone into it resulted in absolutely diabolical microphone performance.

This was resolved by plugging the mic directly into my sound card and i've gone from sounding like i'm in a fishbowl to being told i've never sounded clearer.

Another issue with the adapter is background noise; to remove a lot of background static from the headset whilst plugged into the spitfire (when voice chatting, not music / game playing) the volume in Windows 7 has to be lowered to 66%.

It's still plenty loud, and if you plug the head directly into a sound card you can bring this up to 100% with no increase in background noise (although the sound quality will not be as good unless you have a decent sound card).

That's all i have to say about this model so far, i'll update this 'first impression' review as time goes by.

I look forward to trying these out over the weekend 😄

How does the Orion perform with portable devices?? like phone or tablet?? Can it crank up enough volume and sound quality????

How does the Orion perform with portable devices?? like phone or tablet?? Can it crank up enough volume and sound quality????