cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G51vx - rx05 broken motherboard, how to find replacement

DaviBones
Level 7
I have a G51vx - rx05 and recently, the ac port went out. I got it fixed at a repair shop for 250, and when it broke two weeks later (EXACT same symptoms), brought it back because they said they would fix it again for free. They told me the solder they'd put on was still holding, but that my motherboard was the problem and needed to be replaced. I've owned this computer for more than three years, this is the first thing that has gone wrong with it. I'd love to get it working again, but obviously I don't want a money pit.

I have three questions.

To any people with lots of hardware knowledge, does this sound likely? Maybe I just need a new AC port, and a new motherboard is unnecessary?

Where can I find a new motherboard? I have no idea where to begin. I've googled the s**t out of it to no avail.

How cheaply could I find another G series computer of equal or better quality? I'd prefer refurbished but will take used if it really comes down to it.
3 REPLIES 3

cl-scott
Level 12
I'm a bit dubious of the claims made by the place. If they resoldered the jack and it fixed the problem for a period of time, then while it's not necessarily out of the question that the board is indeed bad, I'd be more inclined to think they did a poor solder job. It'd probably take them all of 30 seconds (if that) to reflow the jack once it was exposed, and considering they charged you $250 to do it in the first place for something that probably cost them $5 (including the electricity to heat up the solder iron), I'd say the least they could do is a quick reflow.

I tried saying something like that to them, they just said their solder was still in place 😕 but they said they'd replace the motherboard for free if I brought one in. So I'm not sure whether to trust them.

Pitcher1
Level 9
Please call the ASUS repair cneter on your location, thanks.