cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop graphics card just died...

Greavol28
Level 7
Hey all, got my laptop back from RMA for a hard drive replacement. Now I've got another more serious problem... It seems my GPU is broken. It worked fine for the 1st week or 2. Today I turned off my laptop that was at that point still working for a couple of hours because I had to go somewhere. Came back and started up my laptop only to find out that my resolution was set to lowest. And found out that my laptop was not running on my grpahics card. I then checked Device Manager and my graphics card does not show up in the list. It only shows Standard VGA Adapter or something like that. Installing/reinstalling drivers is not working because the installer program can't find my Graphics Card 😞 Rebooted countless times, also reinstalled windows. But every time I try to install drivers it can't find my graphics card.

I really don't feel like sending it back for RMA again since I have lost my faith due to this problem showing up after an RMA...

Any suggestions, tips/ whatever, feel free...

25 REPLIES 25

StereoROG
Level 7
I checked the bios if i missed any info about the GPU but no luck it says nothing about the graphics card. I thought if the system is recognizing the GPU it would mention something there.

My first option send it back or give them a call if them can try to diagnose or help you do something.

What you did is more then enough to diagnose in my opinion unless someone else has another advice.

one more thing you can do is to open the laptop as it is user friendly "one screw" and doesn't avoid the warranty and you can see the graphics card there along with the ram and hard drive you can see if there is something suspicious with it but you cant do much (like removing it ) as you need to remove the heat sink first which is not easy cause then you have to take it all apart -----> leading to void the warranty.

Please check in other threads where you can find guides and pictures on how to.

Wish i could help more.

Cheers,

cl-scott
Level 12
Afraid there's really not much you're going to be able to do beyond send it back in unless you want to just live with it as-is. Sorry.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Hey crazy question...are you trying to install the mobile version of the drivers, or the regular ones? if not the mobile...this is why you cannot install them

These are the drivers from asus support site and are for the mobile version 670m thats in my G75VW. I've used them before and this is the first time I have this problem.

Try the latest ones from the nVidia site - make sure to get the mobile versions.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ForCeV
Level 10
That version which uploaded asus website isn't working. Try to install Nvidia website's newest version. Beta version has released recently. Try to install it. Version is 310.33.

I've just tried installing the latest drivers to no avail.

Here's another screenshot.

I've just tried installing the latest drivers to no avail...

Here's another screenshot

Apexing
Level 9
what does it show under devicemanager - screencard ?
You get to it, by right clicking my computer, select properties then devicemanager.