cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gh73jh motherboard swap

crunchry88
Level 7
Hi all, im new on this forum and this is my first post here. So i like to play online fps shooters like css tf2 and such like that. not too much of a fan of newer games. i also like the resident evil series 1-3 and i strongly believe RE4 and the rest of them shouldnt be called resident evil!! lol

ok anywho im curious to see if i can swap out my intel motherboard in my asus gh73jh and replace it with maybe the amd motherboard from the gh74 and getting the same video card, etc... for a little more power when i wanna play games on full blast graphics. Anyone know if the motherboard to frame mounts match up, if the power output of potentially running the setup out of the gh74 would work, etc....? Im not really interested in selling this laptop and getting the newer models and if this wont work i will probably build yet another amd powered desktop. thank you for your time and responses.
4 REPLIES 4

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
No, this is definitely not possible.
First look at the motherboard differences:

The heat pipes of the G74Sx come together in the middle, while the G73Jh has seperate them to left and right. Another thing you may notice, the G74Sx has a GPU soldered directly on the motherboard, so no chance that you can use your G73Jh GPU heatsink.

Also the screws are in completely different places. The next problem would be that the G74Sx has all connectors (USB, HDMI,...) in different places compared to the G73Jh.

What you can do is swaping your GPU with one of the newest models (7970m,...), search the forum, there are enough posts about this procedure.
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |

Pitcher1
Level 9
ASUS only is able to change HDD and RAM by user, if you want to change MB, it is impossible to do that and ASUS will not agree it, because the design is not same as MB, so i suggest you do not swap MB.

Vicodin
Level 10
Wow... G74 motherboard has the best RAM setup of all. All 4 slots are right next to each other which is accessible via the door on the bottom.

I just upgraded my motherboard to a newer version of the board to do a repair on my G73JH-X3. The graphics card upgrade is possible as is a memory upgrade while you can access that hidden slot on the G73. I took mine from 8gb's to 16gb's and I can boot to windows 8 in about 10 seconds or less and shut down the pc in about 5 seconds.