cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme RAM

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Got RAM questions...

Bought a nice 1600 kit for my RIVE, since at the time benching was what old ladies did in parks while feeding the pigeons.

Since,.... discovered this murky underworld of tweaks and tertiary timings etc and am looking for a new RAM kit to have some fun with. 8 Pack once told me to look for PSC or some such; which I noded at as it went straight over my head.

What would be a good quad kit 16GB for X79 for benching 2133 or 2400. I was looking at the new platinums and CMD16GX3M4A2400C9 in particular but seems only dual channel on corsair website though I see people running it ok on X79?

Any advice?
177 REPLIES 177

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Go dual channel for SuperPI(if you plan on benching this a lot), that's what HiVizMan told me. And yep, you're quite right...at the moment the Plats are only Dual Channel, which is rather surprising.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah I saw the dual channel boards are cleaning up Pi and I have come to a bit of a wall in what I can do in that comp with my RAM I think....still experimenting....:D

But I see those platinums sold everywhere in 4 stick kits :confused:

You will be surprised as to what ram works well and that it is actually quite cheap.

If you want killer overclocking ram for the RIVE platform, get some Samsung green.

Samsung Green 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz 30nm Dual Channel Kit MV-3V4G3D/US

You will pay under £50 for that kit, and you are most likely (CPU IMC dependant) going to get 2600MHz with little effort.

Not going to be too tight for Super PI but no-one makes PCS or BBSE any more. And BBSE and PSC are the good memory to get for benching on SB or IB. So go for frequency 🙂

Overclocking Features (Not Guaranteed)- 1600MHz (7-8-8-24 1N) @ 1.40v
- 1866MHz (9-9-9-27 1N) @ 1.40v
- 2000MHz (9-10-10-28 1N) @ 1.45v
- 2133MHz (10-10-10-28 1N) @ 1.45v
- 2400MHz (11-11-11-28 2N) @ 1.50v
- In our own in house testing we were able to achieve all the above clock speeds on an Asus X79 platform with 4x4GB modules (16GB total) SuperPI Stable too, 32M
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Zka17
Level 16
I think that quad channel is only meaning matched dual channel kit... and it's up the CPU/IMC if it's running it in quad or dual channel... - so, if you have a quad channel capable CPU, then a matched 4 sticks dual channel RAM will run as quad channel with no probs...

I have a Dominator Platinum kit, which on the Corsair site is dual channel... got it from Newegg, where the exactly same kit was quad channel... I was thinking, if it doesn't works, just will send them back to Newegg - but it was no trouble until now... (everything is showing the RAMs as quad channel)

Menthol
Level 14
I have looked high and low for some PCS, been looking in every forum that has hardware for sell to find used and have seen none, the people that have it hold onto it. I have 2 sets of 2x2 gb of the Samsung Green Viz is referring to and the Platinum that Zoltan has, plus a GSkill 4x2GB Z series 4X2, thinking that 4 sticks of 2gb may overclock better that a 16gb kit which is becoming the norm. Th Platinum dual channel comes packaged in a quad kit and works excellent. I am building my stock of ram the best I can to experiment with, my favorite for everyday use on the RIVE has been the Dominator GT 2133 16gb kit at 1.5 volts, the more I play with memory the more I realize I don't know anything. It is very time consuming with small gains or losses for the trouble on X79.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Thanks! All three of you! Clears up some posibilities...especially if that's two of you with Platinum that works quad channel. And with nice timings too if it works with my IMC...and they look nice hehe

HiVizMan thanks for the timings and the suggestion...don't know if I want to just go for MHz OCing...more interested in tight timings and the efficiency idea....

Hmmmm....:rolleyes:

HiVizMan
Level 40
No stress Arne the thing is you will find that with different memory straps frequency in benching makes as much difference as tight latency. But as a rule of thumb tighter latency is better for 2D stuff for sure.

And I have a couple of PSC kits 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey HiVizMan..OK I might not have understood exactly what you were trying to say. Let me see if this is right at the same frequency tighter timings better but also even if I divide latency by frequency and get the same number the higher frequency RAM is better?? Or even if that division produces close numbers maybe the higher frequency is still better?

And can I ask what is a PSC kit what does that mean? Why are they good... why unavailable if so (Except to your good self of course hehehe)

HiVizMan
Level 40
They are no longer made. What happens is that the ram chips we use or vendors use for the ram kits we buy are all made by two or three factories. Some of those kits were made two or three years ago. Some of the chip manufactures have shut down. So what we are left with is a supply chain that basically goes via GSkill currently. That is why they are the top dog of ram. I bought my kits, second hand or from small retailers that had "dead" stock that they were just pleased to get rid off. But what you will not hear about normally is the 20 odd kits that were rubbish, just to find one or two that are good. 😄

The frequency thing is not that easy to work out as a simple equation. It is all about the IMC and the design of the processor. So for example with Ivy some of the time Cas 8 has been quicker than Cas 7 (we are talking serious frequency here, not 1600MHz.) And sometime tight latency can negatively impact on performance. Not all benchmarks want 32Mil levels of tight latency. Actually none do. Each benchmark has its own optimal ram settings. And often that effort, the unseen research that goes on after hours is what separates the great benchers from the merely good.

Bottom line - look on ebay, second hand threads on forums or simply do the best with what is available. 🙂