cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 Xeon E3 1230 V2

Bluntwrapped
Level 7
Hi I was just wondering if the Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 will support a Xeon E3-1230 V2 CPU. It's not shown on the CPU support list but I think I remember reading somewhere it is supported?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
FCLGA1155 socket and yes it most certainly does.

Not too much overclocking with this CPU but maybe that is not what you need or want.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Great! thanks for confirming. This will be my second rig and my second Maximus IV Gene-Z . I'm going to put together a smaller build mainly to use as a rendering box. Price/performance/power consumption of the E3-1230 v2 seems spot on and just what I'm looking for. I'm not too fussed about overclocking but I'll maybe have a go anyway. If I can gain anything through it's BCLK without bumping voltage then I'll be quite happy :cool:

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is exactly what this CPU is good at. You enjoy.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

DanteGP27
Level 7
Planning on using this proc in a Maximus V GENE build for a friend. I'm just wondering what limitations, if any, there would be?

The product page for the mobo says:
*Since Xeon CPU is not desktop CPU model, some feature may not able to work on this combination. For detail, refer to support.asus.com

However I couldn't find anything regarding this on the support site. I know this CPU is basically a high-end i5/low-end i7 with no onboard graphics but I don't see what other features would suffer by using it. Mobo features or CPU features? Which ones?

The final build in question will be used for both gaming and video/picture editing, maybe some rendering as well. I'm attracted by the benchmarks, the price, even the TDP is ideal since it'll be in a SFF case. Seems like an all-round winner of a CPU.

Also sorry for posting in an old thread, figured starting a new one was worse.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Dante start your own thread mate. We are not like other forums, here we just want to help folks. More people will see your question and be able to help you.

I do not have one of those CPU's so can not test or comment for you.