cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Raid - Boot&Gaming

MrRyaz
Level 10
I have heard a few things about how its not recommended to have OS installed on the same array as games and i was just looking for some clarification.
i have 2x128GB Kingston hyperx3k drives and they are currently in RAID0 using the onboard controller on my rampageIII, i would assume that even though i have installed all the most played games on this drive the performance reduction would be less than if i were to use the two drives independantly?
also how advantageous would TRIM be?

2 drives in Raid0 with OS & Games

OR

1 drive - OS
1 drive - Games
9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The limit on bandwidth on X58 means the raid 0 is not able to work at the speed it is capable of. TRIM is important for the life and function of your SSD over time. I think the benefit of having TRIM enabled far outweighs the benefit of RAID 0 speed even on SATA3..... on SATA2 that goes double for me. For most normal use RAID 0 for SSDs in not necessary. Just gives nice numbers in benchmarks. Apart from that RAID 0 doubles your chances of failure.

Guess I would recommend separate drives 😉

HiVizMan
Level 40
OS on one, and games on another for the X58.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

MrRyaz
Level 10
Thanks for the advice, time for a Format me thinks 😛

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I think it is best to secure erase and then let windows format on re-install. The SSD manufacturers website should have tools for this. good way to start fresh 🙂

MrRyaz
Level 10
These are through sata3, so you are saying that the chipset will bottleneck the drives?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
There will be 2 sata controllers one the Intel sata 2 ports and probably a Marvell "sata 3". I put it in inverted commas because it is not really. 400 Max speed and real world less than this. Most people found the Intel sata ports better despite theoretically being slower.so yes if you have sata 3 drives they will be bottlenecked on X58. 😞

MrRyaz
Level 10
would it be worth investing in a SATAIII PCI raid controller in this case? all i have free is a PCI 1x though
and if so any suggestions?

EDIT: Highpoint RocketRAID 620 ?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Mate in a year or so you will upgrade your system. You will not notice the difference between SATA2 and SATA3 in real world stuff. So do not stress it. My view it is not worth the money.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
One lane of PCIe has less bandwidth. The Marvell controller uses 2 lanes if I remember right. HiVizMan is right you wont notice much difference in normal computing, if any.