cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to OC'ing - any advice on useful prerequisite reading?

Logen_Nine
Level 7
Hello ROGgers,

Have been building my own PC's for a few years, and would like to learn how to OC.

Does anyone have any advice on where to begin? I need help understanding the basics, like voltage, the dependencies on RAM etc, before I can even begin to play with settings.

Quick google search didn't really give me a solid start - seems to mostly bring me specifics on "this is what I did" instead of "this is what OCing is and these are the factors that need to be considered."

Thanks for any advice,

-Logen
Mobo: P6T BIOS rev 1408
CPU: i7 970
RAM: 12GB (2x GSKILL F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK)
OS HDD: 2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID0 (ICH10R)
Storage: HighPoint Tech RocketRaid 3320 - 6x Seagate 750GB SATA2 in RAID5.
5 REPLIES 5

Chino wrote:
Which processor are you trying to OC?

Hi Chino, thanks for replying. My specs are in my sig - only have the single desktop using the i7 970.

However, your reply seems to indicate that perhaps OC'ing is pretty custom depending on which CPU you are using. So in other words, OC'ing my i7 970 is completely different than OC'ing a Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge or Sandy-E CPU. Is this true? Are there factors that are consistent across CPU generations or does it change each time a new CPU is shipped?

Logen Nine wrote:
Hi Chino, thanks for replying. My specs are in my sig - only have the single desktop using the i7 970.

However, your reply seems to indicate that perhaps OC'ing is pretty custom depending on which CPU you are using. So in other words, OC'ing my i7 970 is completely different than OC'ing a Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge or Sandy-E CPU. Is this true? Are there factors that are consistent across CPU generations or does it change each time a new CPU is shipped?

Yes it is platform dependant.

Some commonality of terms, and the physics such as temperature and voltage of course but how those interact is platform dependant.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello my friend.

You want guides that are not specific holding hand baby feeding, you have come to the right place. Go look in the different sub forums, Rampage, Maximus and Chrosshair. Find any of the guides that Raja has written and spend the next week or so reading.

Then once you are done, come here and start asking your questions. There will be plenty.

The best advice I can give you is this, take your time and enjoy the experience, do not get to fixated on a set outcome.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
The best advice I can give you is this, take your time and enjoy the experience, do not get to fixated on a set outcome.

Understood, more interested in learning than anything. Don't have a NEED for this (I am guessing very few people really do), just something to do in my evenings after work.

Will look for some guides by Raja. Thanks, HiVizMan.